FW Clam question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GlitcH

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anyone have any experience with FW Clams?

I'm wondering how destructive they might be to my nice glosso carpet.

I have been thinking about putting a few in myself. As far as I know they don't move around much at all once they burrow in the substrate. I'm guessing they will immediatly burry themselves as soon as they hit bottom so you might be able to place them in the tank anywhere you want.

I had one for a while. Every week or so he would decide that he wanted to move and tear gouges through the sand.

In my experience they don't make very good tankmates because they have a tendancy to die unnotticed and foul the water quickly.

I recently got several clams and put three into a "sump" (an emersed growth tank with substrate), one in a nano, and three in a 10gal. None of these tanks have filters and two support shrimp, snails, and other inverts. I acclimate slowly. None dug into the substrate or moved around. All of the clams died over the course of a week and a half.

I got these clams from an aquarist.

I bought some from a guy on aquabid.........they all were healthy when I got them.

They dug in within a few mins of hitting the gravel.......and I've yet to see them again.

I'm gonna have to dig around to make sure they are still alive.

I'm sorry I wasted money on them at this point.

Oh well...........live and learn.

dskidmore said:
Did the other aquarist breed them or collect them?
He purchased more than he needed, then sent me some after having them for a month. I PM'd asking how his were doing and he said he's not sure if any are still alive. He's off-forum but I asked him to post here if he gets around to it.

I don't think I ever saw a feeding tube fwiw. The shells were closed when I got them, then I could see the white-ish clam itself reaching out of a couple, maybe a mm or two outside the shell, then over days the shells were open, and the calms were either still inside (dead) or floating.

Back
Top Bottom