Garden Basics play sand from Wal-Mart?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwwill0

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I can't find Southdown locally. I can get the following brands. I found one post on here that said the Garden Basics is the same as Southdown. Can anyone verify that? What are your recommendation about these sands?

-Garden Basics play sand (from Wal-Mart)
-Gulf Coast White Beach play sand
-Ozark Landscaping Play Sand
-Premium Play Sand (T-C landscaping)
-Quickcrete Play Sand

i have never heard that but i would like to know also if you find out your self

jwwill0 said:
I found one post on here that said the Garden Basics is the same as Southdown.
If the sand is the same size, sterilized, and (I'm spacing out, am I saying the right word) silicate free, then its pretty close.

If you want to test of this sand is silica based or argonite based get 1 bag and take it home. Put a little sand in a bowl and pour a little vinegar into the sand thats in the bowl. If the sand starts to have a chemical reaction and bubble up then its argonite based. If the sand just sits there and just looks wet then its silica based.

Oh and silica and silicates are totally different. Silica sand will not case a diatom problem nor will it leach silicates.

Worked for me....

I used 2 55 lb bags of Garden Basics from Wal-Mart in my 55gal tank....seeded with 20 lbs of live aragonite, and 2 lbs from the LFS reef tank....Tank looks beautiful, and the DSB works like a charm.

No....

Nope, read a post that someone else used it with success, and I went off of that. My DSB has been in for about 3-4 months, is working fine, fish are all healthy and happy, and I have plenty of bubbles in the DSB, meaning it is working well....

I don't think it really matters what the sand is made of. Actual sand, silica dioxide, is ok to use. What is most important is the particle size. The most beneficial bacteria grow on particle size of about .13mm. I believe the recommended average particle size is about .125, or 1/8, mm.

The only real issue about the silica vs. argonite, is the tendence for the silica to be prone to a diatom outbreak after you cycle. HTH. I'll try to find my source for backing if anyone is interested.

Ok, I tested the following sands and no fizz :(
-Wal-Mart Garden Basics
-Gulf Coast White Ocean (from Wal-Mart)
-Best Play Sand from Toys-R-Us

The Best and the Gulf Coast are both white sands with a good particle size, so should be fine, but do appear to be silica sands.

fishfreek said:
If you want to test of this sand is silica based or argonite based get 1 bag and take it home. Put a little sand in a bowl and pour a little vinegar into the sand thats in the bowl. If the sand starts to have a chemical reaction and bubble up then its argonite based. If the sand just sits there and just looks wet then its silica based.

Oh and silica and silicates are totally different. Silica sand will not case a diatom problem nor will it leach silicates.

So what is the preferred sand ?

Argonite or Silica ?

what are the differences.

Pros Cons etc.

You want to stay away from the silica based sands...the silicas can produce a diatom bloom in your tank (brown algae)....look for the argonites :wink:

Back
Top Bottom