Gbr breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ohhh sorry i thought you were asking me, lol i just read it again :)

Good to know from you, too! I've lowered my tank a little (had it high to treat ich) & now it seems like their breeding is longer between instances! But I'm wondering if perhaps the high temperatures were what was causing them to eat their babies... But 82 degrees isn't high, and you're having the same problem. So maybe in just trying to make up solutions to my problem. I just keep hoping next time will be it!

Yea i think it's just that they are so far from wild rams that they lost their instinct to take care of their youngs, I feel like my male takes way more care of the eggs than the female. But once they hatch or is time for them to hatch they just go away and don't take care of them. Next time I'm going to put the eggs in another tank that I have ready for them, the tank is an empty bottom one

Your ready for your next batch so we expect pictures of them babies! I have 5 pairs and have only SEEN one batch of eggs! It's been about 7 months since I've had them... You guys are lucky your getting eggs like every two weeks! I'm jealous!

Yea but none of them makes it. :( how big are the tanks you have yours in?

Two pairs are in separate 20 gallon tanks, I have one pair in a 30 gallon, and two pairs in a 55. Since I've only seen one batch of eggs I'm assuming they eat them pretty quick if they spawned in the past

Ohhh and you are sure they are male female pairs?

Sure sure:) I got them from a guy I know who actually breeds them for a living. So they better be lol all my females are bright pink bellied and speckled blue in their spots, my males are all bigger and solid black spots. I watch them "dance" together and follow each other around constantly. I have no doubt they are paired up, (I actually bought breeding pairs), I just have to wait for eggs. Hopefully not another 6 months lol

Ohhh ok thats good, yea just give them time, im sure they will if they are happy and not stressed.(which I'm sure yours are not). So hopefully soon :) and when they do we want to hear and see them

They seem happy. They come out when I walk by, begging for treats like my oscars do lol it's just seeming impossible to get eggs, especially reading that you guys get them all the time! :)

Well maybe out water is different, I know a lot of people are gonna kill me when I say this, but i put water straight from the tap into my tanks, but i dont live in a big city, actually i live in a small town in the middle of nowhere, is a mountain town. So our water is the best I've ever tried. Maybe that has to do with it? Who knows

I put seachem prime in my tanks and add straight tap water too. My friend Pete "aka Lotsoffish on aquabid" does that as well. We have no problems with that at all. We both do 50% water changes weekly

I dont use prime or anything, i only use that when I start the cycling on a new tank, then i never use it again

Maybe, but I take my water to the store every two weeks to be tested and even he says he doesn't know what I do to my tank water but its the best he's ever seen and to keep doing it lol I only have a couple of those water softening pillows and I actually use rain water, well whenever it rains anyway ;)

I'm not sure what we could be doing different then. But I hope yours lay eggs soon too.

How big are your guys? My gold rams are only and inch

Attachments

• image-3021883662.jpg
    image-3021883662.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 64
I think they are about 1 1/2"

image-2182361623.jpg

image-1271463089.jpg

See that hole in that piece of fake driftwood? Thats were they lay the eggs

So I think they are going to lay eggs soon again, they are both cleaning the same spot, and the female is big again. :)

Yes they are laying eggs!!! :) it's been 8 days since they layed the last ones.

Idk, I bought a hang on the back breeding box, that takes water from the tank and puts it in the box, but I'm not sure how i would put the eggs in there, my lfs told me it was easier to remove the parents, so I'm still thinking about what to do. I also have a 10g tank but it's full with baby swordtails, so idk if they will eat the eggs if i put them there. So many choices but idk which one is the best :(

Back
Top Bottom