GBR(Mikrogeophagus ramirezi) breeding help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The eggs are still there! This is their best parent raising attempt yet.

Sent from my XT830C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They're looking good Coral! Looks like those have settled in well! Hopefully soon enough you can start trying to pair them off w/ your strains!

They're looking good Coral! Looks like those have settled in well! Hopefully soon enough you can start trying to pair them off w/ your strains!

Thanks so much for the fish zero!
They are serious pigs!
Never not hungry!
So when I watch how GBR pair up it makes me think I need to get these guys mixed with others while they are still young.

I think I will add my largest/best from this season to the 40b soon.
They can't just be the biggest as I don't want to add just males but it would be nice if any of your males had a shot at a female whether of yours or mine...
Two of the grow out tanks have fry from Poppas Jhawks and my own already mixed(you got chocolate in my peanut butter!) so adding them to yours will be the blend for summer!

Lots of eggs this week from jhawks ,beast and yellows!
The big surprise is zero ohios have also laid eggs!
I lost one of them this week end and had been noting they were very territorial.
Well eggs on a leaf pulled this am and eggs in the corner of the tank this evening add some explanation !

My pair is on a break! Broke their pattern for the first time since they arrived, they should have spawned on Saturday?

Still haven't spawned although I'm not too worried about it. It might be that I've been experimenting by switching back to full tap water to see if I'll still get fertilized eggs. I don't have much room for fry so it won't kill me to lose a spawn or two!

Meanwhile I've got the first batch of rams in full tap after just a month from being laid ;)

Got some eggs separated in the 16, today I can see most of them have a little black thing inside, if it's what I think they are than I have GBR fry soon!:dance:

Got some eggs separated in the 16, today I can see most of them have a little black thing inside, if it's what I think they are than I have GBR fry soon!:dance:

Sounds just like how my good batches look! Get some growout tanks ready!!!

You are both doing great!
Nils fill the 10g half way with water from tank they were laid in(16g) and then just add new water to the 16...
Get it running so you can move the wigglers when needed in a day or so!!

sini I am glad yours stopped!
I expected to hear you say you know what my rams are doing...
I think the sitting issue I have had and still have with the 3 best(most active) females is from over breeding or something related.
I actually hesitated to pull eggs the other day knowing it just drives pair to breed again sooner IMO???
It is so similar to wasting disease but no med has changed anything in the past...

I'm glad mine stopped too! I don't have that much room and I want to have space for the new angel pairs! I love these rams but they're mostly a side project compared to these angels.

Weird thing did happen though- the female looked fat with eggs and then today looked like she just laid? But they aren't guarding a spot and I never saw either of them spawning. Whatever the case I'm just going to let them keep any eggs they lay for a while, going off of your cautionary tales!

You are both doing great!
Nils fill the 10g half way with water from tank they were laid in(16g) and then just add new water to the 16...
Get it running so you can move the wigglers when needed in a day or so!!

sini I am glad yours stopped!
I expected to hear you say you know what my rams are doing...
I think the sitting issue I have had and still have with the 3 best(most active) females is from over breeding or something related.
I actually hesitated to pull eggs the other day knowing it just drives pair to breed again sooner IMO???
It is so similar to wasting disease but no med has changed anything in the past...

Done and done. Used a t valve to get some air flowing under the eggs and in the 10 too. SOOOO excited!

will I get eggs soon??

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You should get eggs soon?

Today I moved 2 females from Yellow tank(only females out of 13!) into the Jayhawk tank.
This arrangement in the 30b yielded NO breeding this season....
Looking to move all 11 males(largest GBR most will EVER see!) quickly as I need space and 11 males are useless...

The three females that showed the 'sitting' syndrome were culled.
I would be more concerned but having seen this before I believe it was best as a breeder and not an issue for any other fish.

So now beyond fry mixing for next round of breeding I have 2 females in with the still very productive jayhawks in the 40b.
Actually one pair of Js is holding wiggler on driftwood in a cave now and the two single males are hiding....
Going to leave the fry and see if the whole tank don't explode with activity!:eek:
Kind of singin the breeder song real quiet like, as I believe the petco DPG is taking place now!:nono:

All rams are still active but I have not gained a much better success rate.
3 sets of eggs this week and three sets of free swimmers( 6 in total) all moved around.

The singin is getting louder:whistle:

You should get eggs soon?

Today I moved 2 females from Yellow tank(only females out of 13!) into the Jayhawk tank.
This arrangement in the 30b yielded NO breeding this season....
Looking to move all 11 males(largest GBR most will EVER see!) quickly as I need space and 11 males are useless...

The three females that showed the 'sitting' syndrome were culled.
I would be more concerned but having seen this before I believe it was best as a breeder and not an issue for any other fish.

So now beyond fry mixing for next round of breeding I have 2 females in with the still very productive jayhawks in the 40b.
Actually one pair of Js is holding wiggler on driftwood in a cave now and the two single males are hiding....
Going to leave the fry and see if the whole tank don't explode with activity!:eek:
Kind of singin the breeder song real quiet like, as I believe the petco DPG is taking place now!:nono:

All rams are still active but I have not gained a much better success rate.
3 sets of eggs this week and three sets of free swimmers( 6 in total) all moved around.

The singin is getting louder:whistle:

I got eggs today!! :dance:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here's a doozy for ya Bandit- have you ever seen rams spawn sideways on one of those dishes? My pair is spawning that way and half of them are turning white already, I don't think the male can fertilize them at that funny angle... :facepalm::banghead:

Here's a doozy for ya Bandit- have you ever seen rams spawn sideways on one of those dishes? My pair is spawning that way and half of them are turning white already, I don't think the male can fertilize them at that funny angle... :facepalm::banghead:

If she can put the eggs there, he can fertilize them there. :brows: If they are going white already or soon after being laid, it's an egg problem not a fertilizing problem. :nono:

Back
Top Bottom