GBR(Mikrogeophagus ramirezi) breeding help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Huh, haven't had egg problems from her before. Think it could be related to the long spawning break?

It could be any number of reasons. But you wondered if it were a fertilizing issue and the answer is NO, if the female can get her tube in there to lay the egg, the male can get his tube in there to fertilize them if he wants to. The rest is just speculation. ;)(y)

Here's a doozy for ya Bandit- have you ever seen rams spawn sideways on one of those dishes? My pair is spawning that way and half of them are turning white already, I don't think the male can fertilize them at that funny angle... :facepalm::banghead:
I have only seen the rams lay eggs 'normal'
I have seen the apisto upside down and discus straight up and down....
The male don't care how she lays them as long as she does!

If she can put the eggs there, he can fertilize them there. :brows: If they are going white already or soon after being laid, it's an egg problem not a fertilizing problem. :nono:
Agree on the male and have never seen eggs go white this fast..
I will defer to Andy and his vast experience( I appreciate his insight personally)...

Huh, haven't had egg problems from her before. Think it could be related to the long spawning break?
The break would only benefit her IMO.
We are back to diet and water folks...
I have seen eggs go bad in 1/2 a day on occasion from very active pairs(usually only part of set though like 50%)...

I have only seen the rams lay eggs 'normal'
I have seen the apisto upside down and discus straight up and down....
The male don't care how she lays them as long as she does!

Agree on the male and have never seen eggs go white this fast..
I will defer to Andy and his vast experience( I appreciate his insight personally)...

The break would only benefit her IMO.
We are back to diet and water folks...
I have seen eggs go bad in 1/2 a day on occasion from very active pairs(usually only part of set though like 50%)...

Diet hasn't changed. Could be the water; I switched back to full tap. But my tap is so soft as it is; around 120 TDS so in theory they should be fine? The fry are fine in full tap.

I have a weird theory that the eggs are fine and it's just the angle I'm looking at them- since all of the eggs on the rim and on the bottom seem good while all the ones laid on the side at an angle seem fine.

My TDS is 120-150 when I change water in breeding tanks...
I try to add new at 50-90 tds altering it a little with some batches on purpose.
I am 99% certain the tds only matters for eggs getting fertilized...
My old research stated that raising fry in the same or close to the water they were breed in was best...
I switch mine to tap at 2 months...
My ph/kh/gh are like yours sini but TDS out of tap is 350+!
Even a 50/50 experiment I tried for a month yielded not one fertile egg from fish that reliably produced after being re introduced to lower TDS...
I am lucky to have just upgraded not long ago to the 150 GPD kit with a booster pump on my RO.
I can make 6g in 1 hour now!

I had my fry in their original water for the first three weeks, then adjusted them to full tap over a week and then they've been in tap since. The RO is just too pricey right now, holiday expenses and all that.

Anyway, they can keep this batch, it's 75% white already... here's hoping the next batch is better and the fish gods have mercy and don't punish me further.

I am 99% certain the tds only matters for eggs getting fertilized...

It may not have to do with the fertilizing but of the surviveability of the eggs.
In a lot of cases Sini,, the fry can handle different water parameters than the eggs can. Proof of that is the experience I am having now, the eggs hatch and the wigglers last for almost a week in water that has ammonia in it. In other tanks, I have fry that are swimming with no filters in the tank ( for experimental reasons) and they are handling the same .50 PPm ammonia while the wigglers couldn't. So you have to treat eggs differently than fry. (y)

Pictures of the ram festivities...
Mr. bandit

Rams in 30b

rams in 75g

the future...Electric Blue Rams!!!

Rams first tank after nursery...5 gallons

Added some tanks to the breeding room

And a few new fish
RREA swordtails [red ,red eyed albino]

some long finned swords

And some platy transshipped direct from Asia to NY!

I used to breed neon. (Innesi).
If the female spawn is put on, it is not very long-lasting.
At the start (10 approaches) always 1 female, 2 males. The first approach is usually bad. But it will be better in the next week when the superimposed eggs are out and come newly created. Usually it is seven times. Allways past a week, then it gets worse again and it must be selected young couples. Breaks were not good.

th

Hope everyone has a great day!:dance:

HI,
i need your help my friends.I saw fry until 13th day of free swim together with the parents....was wonderful.I left from the office and return after 3 hours....the parents had eaten the fry:(.After few days the female passed out.
One friend gave me to females long-fin,and with these two females the male eat the eggs the second day....after 3-4 times breed with each female, i decide to take out the parents to see what is going on with the eggs.My aquarium is 110 liter only with the two ramirezi.
Always the water was good for them
GH 5
PH 6
TDS 90-110
Temp 27oC
So the second day all the eggs with fungus.This thing for 2 times for each fish.
My conclusion is for the reason that the female is long-fin her eggs is very very bad and after i read the following
''
As a result, it is produced on a commercial basis in huge numbers and a number of ornamental strains have been developed including ‘gold’, ‘long-finned’ (both blue and gold forms; also traded as ‘lyre-tail’, ‘veil-tail’ and ‘hi-fin’), ‘electric/neon blue’, ‘super neon blue gold’ ‘pearl/perlmutt’ and ‘balloon’.
These artificially-reared forms, in particular the latter, tend to be genetically weak, susceptible to disease, exhibit shortened life-spans and poor reproductive vigour, plus in many cases only males are distributed.''
(Mikrogeophagus ramirezi – Ram (Apistogramma ramirezi, Papiliochromis ramirezi, Microgeophagus ramirezi) — Seriously Fish)

i am 99% sure that this is the problem.
Please tell me what can i do,is this possible both of my females to be infertile?
Thank u

I would pull the eggs and add methylene blue to keep eggs from fungus.
They will hatch to wigglers in 3 days if fertile .Remove the mb,I do this with clean water changes done 2@ 50% 0f the dip and pour I hatch in.
My longfins never even laid eggs so I would keep working them.
It is our fault, but rams are lousy parents so I pull all eggs I want to hatch.
Some rams need to practice a couple times to get it right also.
IMO males sexualy mature slower, but tough telling who is responsible for bad eggs...
Hope this helps.

Thanks for your quick reply.I want to explain that I think that the eggs get fungus because of the infertile eggs.
So,i think when the fishes are to the aquarium the male see at the second day that there will be no wigglers and for that reason he eat the eggs.
And the proof of that is when there are only the eggs to the aquarium, the second day they get fungus because of the infertility of the long-fins eggs.
I am adding methylene blue.
The male in past fertile with other normal female with success.
U said that yours long fins never even laid eggs, so is it possible the problem to be the eggs?
I am trying from September with these females.

What is water like?
It MUST be soft for the egg to be fertilized.If water is too hard the shell of the egg will not allow the milt to enter and fertilize.
I get my water around 80 TDS .

I am writing this 2 post above,GH=5
With normal female had no problems with fertilization of the eggs!
I dont know man,i am confused...

That quote is in reference to balloon rams in particular,not the long fins..
They are internally manipulated, which often leads to issues and short life.

I have been told the long fin may be recessive so actually finding a female is unlikely?
Now if you have a long fin laying eggs? Got pics?
Like I said mine never laid eggs but always seemed 'almost egg bound'
This was my female after the male died.

I hoped to cross her with my EBR but she just kept acting like a male chasing everyone off...

4,000 post and this is where I am at , when it comes to correcting bogus info
Wonder if I can change my name?

I take pride in giving the most accurate info possible myself...:nono:

Both of the long fin females laid eggs and only the male guards the eggs.He get the female far from the eggs and don't let her to go to the eggs.I see the color of the eggs "brown" and every time I am saying that the eggs is fertile.
I can try one more time with softer water GH<5
Please tell me for 100liter tank how much ml methylene blue to add?

I don't believe that is a fungus problem, but the eggs get fungus for the reason of infertile eggs, this is my opinion.Wnen the male guard the eggs he is all the time above them, but after the second night the eggs disappears.I have moonlight too.Do u think that he can't oxygenate them enough and get fungus?

I will sent pics tomorrow...

Back
Top Bottom