GBR or Bolivian

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bumzc

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey guys,

I currently have a heavily planted 55 FW setup with a Fluval 405.
Ammo - 0
No2 - 0
No3 - 15-20
PH - 7.8
Hardness 23 GPG

Currently in my tank are:

4 Angels (juvies)
12 neons
4 bloodfin tetras
6 corys
6 guppies

I want a couple GBR but my PH and Hardness are on the high end and I don't want to purchase them just to see them die. Would Bolivian ram tolerate such high PH and water hardness? Or none of the above?

the bolivians like 6.8 to 7.4 pH, so its close enough that it could prob take it. is this the accepted pH of the tap water or from additives? x

You can lower your ph by adding driftwood or putting peat moss in a pouch into your filter. That should also help with the hardness. I've also been told that mixing reverse osmosis water with your conditioned tap water will also help though this requires some experimenting to get the right mix to hit your target ph and hardness. I personally prefer the gbr to Bolivians. Gbr are much more colorful but like I say that's my personal prefference. I keep my gbr in about 7 ph and about 25 gh and they are doing great. It's all about what they are used to and have been raised in. I've heard from members that have had gbr do great and even spawn in almost identical conditions as yours.

I agree wiht kdpuffer about lowering the pH with those options.
Personally, I prefer Bolivians. I think they are hardier in a lot of cases, but they for me they were cheaper, so I went with them. They still get beautifully colored. I think the ph would be fine for Bolivians as long as you acclimate them carefully. IMO/E, its always a toss-up with gbr being healthy and being able to adapt to a tank readily. But, I know some people keep them without an issue.

I breed gold, German blue, and Bolivian rams along with all kinds of hybrids my ph is 8.5 and I have really hard water and still happy rams and healthy fry proper acclimation is key I use drip acclimation and I drip them for hours to be sure but in my experience the bolivians are very hardy

Back
Top Bottom