Gbr q

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jessiicaxrosex3

Aquarium Advice Freak
Would a pair of gbr be okay in a 20 hex? Also, do any fish go with them well in that small of a tank? Lfs just got some beauties in, and i cant resist.

The shinier they are the more wary I'd be.. they shouldn't look awesome in the lfs unless the lfs is crazy about water parameters and feedings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The tanks are individually run, which makes me believe the water perimeters are just well kept. They're a good size as well, a lot of the time they're a lot smaller. What am i looking out for, artificial coloring?

Talk to the owner of the shop if possibly and ask what distributor they came from. I know of a few distributors that I avoid. Simply Google reviews on the one he/she tells you. Hopefully you'll be told that they came from a local breeder, usually the best source

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Im friends with a few workers there who order the fish, so if i ask they'll tell me. They've talked me out of buying certain fish before. So im looking for them to have come in locally? I will ask!

Local bred... rn's are in my gbr tank, cardinals too . Corys and Otos, amano shrimp. Gbrs prefer heavily planted tanks..

I would probably not do a pair GBRs in a 20 hex. And if I really, really wanted to, I'd do a species-only tank. You might be able to get away with Marbled Hatchets at the very top, but I imagine anything that occupies the bottom 80% of that tank is going to be harassed to death during breeding.

Also, I'd recommend getting GBRs directly from a good breeder. Stock at the LFS tends to be damaged goods.

as to your original question a 20 hex is two small. They need a bigger foot print to establish territories and be able to get away from one another if the don't pair. You could possibly do one by its self with some for top dwelling dither fish.

Aside from the issue of space for the rams, there is the issue of enough swimming space for a large portion of shoaling species. Although if you are able to get your hands on rams from strong stock, they would do well with your discus.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Would any fish do well in a 20 hex? Because if not i am just going to take down the tank. I feel as though the foot print doesn't work for much, which is disappointing because it is a nice looking tank. What size tank would be okay for rams? A 20? I wish I could just get another 55 and get more discus, but space is an issue ?

Would any fish do well in a 20 hex? Because if not i am just going to take down the tank. I feel as though the foot print doesn't work for much, which is disappointing because it is a nice looking tank. What size tank would be okay for rams? A 20? I wish I could just get another 55 and get more discus, but space is an issue ?

You could do a nano fish tank.. I'd personally tear it down and go grab a 20L at petco now and do your ram tank. They're great little fish.. I'd give you the whole blah blah tough fish schpeil but I think you can handle them..

Yup, it'd be perfect!

Im going to try to find a breeder nearby because i didn't realize the rams at the other lfs were ballooned, and id never get those.

Any opinions on dwarf puffers in general? I saw them at my lfs and didn't even know that puffers came fresh water?/stayed that small

Jeff Rapps has some nice captive bred Mikrogeophagus altispinosa in stock for about $7-8 @ 1.5"

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420570974.338640.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420570985.405125.jpg

Any opinions on dwarf puffers in general? I saw them at my lfs and didn't even know that puffers came fresh water?/stayed that small

Best by themselves in heavily planted tanks. You need at least 5 gallons per tiny Puffer because they are very messy little fish and very territorial. But very cute ! If there are enough plants and it's a big enough tank you can have more than one.

Pea Puffers love to eat snails and nip fins.

Back
Top Bottom