GBRs in a 20g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James_in_MN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Right now, my 20g high has 10 black neon tetras and around 9 ghost shrimp. I know that I'll be adding around three otto cats to the tank later on. The tank also has anacharis planted along the back, a few groups of corkscrew val, and a crypt, with plants to add a few more once my LFS gets their plant shipment in (which should be today).

I was thinking about adding a school of gold tetras, but have decided that would be a bad idea; another decent size school would definitely overstock the tank. I'm now considering adding a centerpiece fish or two, and maybe another fish that doesn't require as big a school as gold tetras would.

Dwarf gourami temperment seems to vary, so I may go the path of german blue rams instead, probably two of them. If I do get two GBRs, should I just hit the brakes there and not add anything else? Or perhaps get one GBR and a small school (3 or 4) of something like cherry barbs?

that sounds good to me. i have a 20 gal tank that is in the process of cycling. my plans were to get 2 GBRs and some small tetras perhaps glowlight tetras.

+1 Jason. German blues are very sensitive to water conditions and like well established tanks. I like bolivians, since they are a bit hardier!

I would add one, possibly two (If you do not want any breeding, just stick to one) with the stock you plan to have. This will give a nicely stocked, beautiful tank (Any pics you could show us; I would love to see your tank).

As people are saying, Rams need a well established tank, but Im sure you are already informed on this since you plan to get otos...

+1 Jason. German blues are very sensitive to water conditions and like well established tanks. I like bolivians, since they are a bit hardier!

Thanks for the info. Perhaps I'll get a Bolivian Ram instead.

It's looking like I'd have to choose between two rams, or one ram with 4 cherry barbs. Two rams with a small school looks to be overcrowded (using aqadvisor as a general guideline).

Too bad dwarf gouramis seem so unstable these days. Those fish look awesome (I had a couple of them in the past).

I personally don't trust the calculators, but I would go with one Bolivian and the barbs, unless you sex the bolivians. Cichlids (which bolivians are) can get aggressive if you get two of the same sex. Especially males.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom