German ram tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, I'm happy your not doing the loaches because after researching them, they are very shy and timid when housed with aggressive fish, which your gaurami and rams/apistos have potential to be. I'm mentioning this because I think any pleco(and snails) are total poop machines. All they do Is graze and poop and as long as you are on top of your water changes (which i can already tell your going to be ;) ) algae probably won't be to much of a problem. I know there are super little pleco fish called Borneo suckers(I think) that stay super small and I think you should consider one of those instead of a bristle nose. But I off hand don't know how small bristle noses stay except under 6ish inches? Just because I think your stock options are homing really good but that you have a lot of fish you want and if you can get the same look ext. with a smaller sized fish it might be a good way to go.

I would not do the Borneo suckers (hillstream loaches) at all. More comes into play than just size and tank mates, some of the fish mentioned don't even have the same temperature requirements, the panda Cory's And the hillstream loaches both prefer colder water temps than the rams. And you really might not be making much headway picking Cory's anyway, you're just trading one bottom dweller for another when you've already firmly decided on an possibly aggressive bottom fish in a tank that has a somewhat small footprint. Just for a first hand experience, I have a 75 gallon tank (much larger footprint) with 3 rams and they still chase fish away from their territories.

I would not do the Borneo suckers (hillstream loaches) at all. More comes into play than just size and tank mates, some of the fish mentioned don't even have the same temperature requirements, the panda Cory's And the hillstream loaches both prefer colder water temps than the rams. And you really might not be making much headway picking Cory's anyway, you're just trading one bottom dweller for another when you've already firmly decided on an possibly aggressive bottom fish in a tank that has a somewhat small footprint. Just for a first hand experience, I have a 75 gallon tank (much larger footprint) with 3 rams and they still chase fish away from their territories.

Thanks I was just throwing it out there in case it was an option.

I have kept many specimens of rams, apistogramma, and various other dwarf cichlids (nannacara, laetacara) with loaches, plecos, and corydoras many times in many different tanks. Dwarf cichlids that would be too aggressive for these bottom dwellers are very much the exception rather than the rule.

Char's official 37 gallon build

So as some may know, I've made a thread or 2 about this but it always went off topic to 1 thing or another. But this one is a start to finish build!! So anyway, I don't have great lighting, but they are marineland led lights. Only live plant I have is a Anubis. So how does this stock plan sound?
4 Julli Cory's
8 rumynose tetras
2 German blue rams
1 zebra anglefish
1 bn pleco
And I still want another school. Either 8 glo lights or 6 bleading hearts? I like the bleading hearts the best but are they ok? Cycle is almost done. Ammonia is 0, nitrites are 2, nitrates Are 20. Ph is 6.8. So then, when I'm done I'll do the 2nd schooler, Mabye next weekend. So my question is what is best for the 2nd school?

Hi there Charlie.....I participated a small bit on your first thread, but quickly got lost as to what was going on :lol: I should keep better track of things this time ;)

Your cycle looks like it's coming along, that's always exciting. For the second school, I would do the glolights. I like their looks better, and I've heard from a few people who say their bleeding hearts are really shy, which is no fun.

Good luck! (y)

Hi there Charlie.....I participated a small bit on your first thread, but quickly got lost as to what was going on :lol: I should keep better track of things this time ;)

Your cycle looks like it's coming along, that's always exciting. For the second school, I would do the glolights. I like their looks better, and I've heard from a few people who say their bleeding hearts are really shy, which is no fun.

Good luck! (y)

Thanks, my worry with glo lights is the anglefish. Don't want any snacks! Will they be big enough?? Also, tank has Ben set up for almost a month, ad dosed to 4 ppm daily till now.

Thanks, my worry with glo lights is the anglefish. Don't want any snacks! Will they be big enough?? Also, tank has Ben set up for almost a month, ad dosed to 4 ppm daily till now.

The glolights should be fine. If possible, I would try to introduce the angel to the tank as a juvie, to see if that helps anything, but really you should be fine.

That's awesome that your cycle has been getting that far along! Any day now, you'll be ready for fish (y)

Ok, I'm liking the glowlights!! So when my tank is ready, hopefully this weekend, I'll add 6 glowlights. Then next week 4 Cory's. then 8 rumynose, then a small angelfish, then pleco, finally rams!!!

So final stock will be
8 rumynose tetras
4 Julii Cory's
1 anglefish
2 German blue rams
1 bn pleco
8 glowlights
The only reason I like bleading hearts is because they are a different shape so it would look neat. But the glowlights are pretty cool! Here's the tank. How's it look?

Attachments

• image-2543667609.jpg
    image-2543667609.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 72
Glowlights and angelfish

I have six glow light tetras with my adult angel fish in my 55 gallon community and they are fine. :) my angel fish has been fine with my 20+ tetras of all sizes so I wouldn't be too worried about that. I will be following this thread and good luck!:bb:

Do you like the glow lights? Colorful,active,tight schoolers, peacful? I also like the fact that they are 1 dollar at petsmart, I like cardinal tetras but te lfs has em for 4. Bucks a pop, not doable for me.

Hey everyone! I'm pretty excited because we got iPads for school! So of course first app I got is aa! And the iPad camera ism10x better than the iPod I was using. So here's a pic of the tank and a close up of the Anubis. And plant experts wanna tell me what kind? Plant additions will soon be a crypt and a java fern. So I'll test in an hour or so because I want to make sure it's a full 24 hours between tests. And I'm leaning toward the glow lights. The main things I want in a schooler are:: poping colors, tight schooling, and active. Glow lights seem to be best but for those that have them are they like that?

Attachments

• image-2410486403.jpg
    image-2410486403.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 62
  • image-3851863246.jpg
    image-3851863246.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 68
I plan on adding a crypt and a java fern as stated in my last post. Also, mabye some tiger lotus

The color on the glow lights does really pop like that line is on fire, for the price very rewarding in my opinion

Thanks. I also have a painted black back and black substrate so te line should really be evident. Ad also, 1 dollar each isn't very average where I am! So a steal!

Yea I have black sand in my little tank, the look great and yea for a dollar it's a deal. I work at petsmart to so I get employee discount too

Back
Top Bottom