Getting an empty 10 gal tank with high ammonia useable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mxmelba

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hopefully this is my last post! I am working on getting my 10 gal fish ready. It was having super high ammonia readings so we moved all the fish to a 55 gal tank. I emptied almost all of the water from the 10 gal, minus about a half inch above the gravel. I refilled it, used seachems and have the filter running. A week later I still have high ammonia and nitrite readings. Should I dump and clean the whole thing? I just did another 25% water change and changed the filters. I was changing them on the 1st of every month so I just continued on with that.

I am looking for suggestions on how to get my 10 gal ready for fish. I need to take out a fish of my 55 gal bc he is getting picked on but I have no place to put him.

Probably came from the gravel, lots of poop and stuff stores in there. Try to run a hose through the gravel for awhile spray it down, try again.

To me it sounds like your tank Is not cycling, when u talked about removing the filters r u removing all the filter media and replacing it every month?

Back
Top Bottom