Getting REALLY discouraged!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've lost fish in my african tank too. I'm guessing it's aggression, convict.

They are very aggressive little buggers, and the ones dying are probably getting picked on to death. Remember that they are going to do a lot of the fighting when you can't see. I would try to just keep an eye on who's bullying who, and who is dying so you can figure out YOUR tank. Many people have black & white answers that tell you "Demasoni will not work with Kenyii" for example. Which may be typically true, but in some cases people have gotten it to work. Every fish is going to have a personality, some will be more tolerate and some will kill. It's part of keeping an African tank. :)

South American cichlids are much more sensitive to nitrates. My mbuna tank usually stayed somewhere in the 20-40ppm range, though it hit 160ppm+ a few times when I got sloppy in my maintenance. You don't have a reason to be confused with any of this, as you're correct in everything you stated.

I think you would notice if it were aggression issues. They would stay isolated, often at the top corner of the tank away from the 'action'. If your parameters are normally close to what you listed, that's not an issue either. I honestly don't know what your issue is, though, I don't think from your posting that it's anything you're doing (or failing to do)

I think this sums it up great for you man.

I don't think it's anything you're doing, your tank conditions are fine. Stocking is just hard with Africans. You're gonna lose some and in the end hopefully have a happy tank when they start to tolerate each other.

mfdrookie516 said:
South American cichlids are much more sensitive to nitrates. My mbuna tank usually stayed somewhere in the 20-40ppm range, though it hit 160ppm+ a few times when I got sloppy in my maintenance. You don't have a reason to be confused with any of this, as you're correct in everything you stated.

I think you would notice if it were aggression issues. They would stay isolated, often at the top corner of the tank away from the 'action'. If your parameters are normally close to what you listed, that's not an issue either. I honestly don't know what your issue is, though, I don't think from your posting that it's anything you're doing (or failing to do)

Thank you! It makes me feel better knowing at least I'm doing the right thing. Maybe they just don't like eachother?

Convict2161 said:
I'll pick your post apart slowly to help answer your questions.

Salt, it's been discussed and many, almost all say it's not needed and would be a waste of my money. Although YES I have used Cichlid salt from a friend but haven't bought any for reasons stated above. Also to add I have rocks that are suppose to buffer pH and some say it works others say no. I have a base substrate of Cichlid sand which is suppose to help with pH.

pH although not in the 8 range I was told being stable would be more important. It's been a strong 7.6 from day one. A nice dark blue.

My nitrates again I was told was ok, nothing to worry about.

My temp being 78, I was also told that is a fine temp for them as long as its steady and when doing water changes I temp match with hand the best I can.

So you right here is a clear example of confusion. Your opinions are yours and others have different and so on and so on...

So... Who do I listen to? This is all new to me. If you read my posts going back months. I've asked everything from salt,temp,lighting,feeding etc....

Hey man i did look at some of your other posts and i know that u have been asking a bunch of questions. I did state that i was answering from a Dwarf cichlid background, they are touchy little guys. Mystery deaths arent fun and harder to figure out.

The steady ph is key. Though out of range ph over time will cause ill effects to the health of the fish.

From what i have been told and experienced (with Rams) under 80 temp allows for illness like hole in the head to grow very easily. Also getting the temp up to 80 will get the color to start really poping.

Who to listen too? Take all your answers and google them also and come up with the most common answer from all sources. Well thats what i do, just my opinion :)

Happy trails with your aquarium life.

gallowchris said:
Hey man i did look at some of your other posts and i know that u have been asking a bunch of questions. I did state that i was answering from a Dwarf cichlid background, they are touchy little guys. Mystery deaths arent fun and harder to figure out.

The steady ph is key. Though out of range ph over time will cause ill effects to the health of the fish.

From what i have been told and experienced (with Rams) under 80 temp allows for illness like hole in the head to grow very easily. Also getting the temp up to 80 will get the color to start really poping.

Who to listen too? Take all your answers and google them also and come up with the most common answer from all sources. Well thats what i do, just my opinion :)

Happy trails with your aquarium life.

Thanks.

Well AND the wife tried for an hour to catch the bumble bee's I have 2, no luck! I'm giving up for tonight. I'm going to go in my bedroom and read my son a book before bed. I bet I'll be back on within the hour. :)

Rough weekend fish tank wise but I'll get through it and hopefully my tank will settle down and the fighting will lessen.

Convict2161 said:
He's the one that killed my eel!!!

So this is the killer?!

Not this guy?

The auratus is a brute as well. I've tried to keep one on several occasions and they are sneaky fin nippin jerks! Mine would lay in wait and when some unsuspecting fish swam by, it would ram them in the gut! I lost several fish that way. Brutal!! I won't try keeping them again. If I had your tank, I'd start by getting rid of the bumble bees and the auratus. Just my thoughts.

In my tank I'm staying clear of Red Zebra's, Auratus, Kenyii and Bumble-bee's. So far that is...

I have Venustus, Afra's, Demasoni, Yellow Labs, Acei, Blue Cobalt zebra. All under 2" in this tank for the time being, re-stocked and started small. They will be getting a 90g this summer.

Lady_Alia said:
The auratus is a brute as well. I've tried to keep one on several occasions and they are sneaky fin nippin jerks! Mine would lay in wait and when some unsuspecting fish swam by, it would ram them in the gut! I lost several fish that way. Brutal!! I won't try keeping them again. If I had your tank, I'd start by getting rid of the bumble bees and the auratus. Just my thoughts.

I'm trying my hardest to get rid of the bumble bee's and now I'll try for the auratus as well. :(

This is really heart breaking!! I like all my fish!! I wish someone would have said something when I got them. "mixed" African Cichlid tank!! I feel like going to the LFS and saying something!! And they have oscars in there too!! What did I know! I said can these be kept with these? Oh sure! They're in there now aren't they? Well they sure are! :(

Last edited:
2 of my 3 Fem Aurautus are sweethearts that have eaten shelled peas out of my hand. the other one will attack anything she can. She's getting a black tint to her like she's turning into the "man" of the group since there's no male. Ill agree with everybody else. the bumblebee is more than likely your problem. I avoided them when I was stocknig specifically for this reason. granted this is coming from a guy with 4 kenyi in his tank with a 2M/2F ratio lol so take it for what it's worth.

NyteGTI said:
2 of my 3 Fem Aurautus are sweethearts that have eaten shelled peas out of my hand. the other one will attack anything she can. She's getting a black tint to her like she's turning into the "man" of the group since there's no male. Ill agree with everybody else. the bumblebee is more than likely your problem. I avoided them when I was stocknig specifically for this reason. granted this is coming from a guy with 4 kenyi in his tank with a 2M/2F ratio lol so take it for what it's worth.

I hear ya. Bumble bees!! UGH!! Spent an hour trying to get them out! I don't think it's gonna happen. It's like they know. I gotta say I did laugh though,my wife wanted to try so I was watching her and laughing. But no luck.

I hear ya. Bumble bees!! UGH!! Spent an hour trying to get them out! I don't think it's gonna happen. It's like they know. I gotta say I did laugh though,my wife wanted to try so I was watching her and laughing. But no luck.

Whenever I need to get fish out, I just remove all my decor out of my tank. It's a hassle but it works.

Not a big deal either because when I put it back I change up the aquascape every time so it kinda flips the reset switch on their territories.

steez said:
Whenever I need to get fish out, I just remove all my decor out of my tank. It's a hassle but it works.

Not a big deal either because when I put it back I change up the aquascape every time so it kinda flips the reset switch on their territories.

Steez you made me smile. :)

Have you seen my tank?! lol with my OCD I may have a breakdown!! Took me days and days to set it up the. I changed it already like 4 times after adding the second airstone. I may lose my mind!!

Was gonna try during WC, maybe it would be easier.

Steez you made me smile. :)

Have you seen my tank?! lol with my OCD I may have a breakdown!! Took me days and days to set it up the. I changed it already like 4 times after adding the second airstone. I may lose my mind!!

Was gonna try during WC, maybe it would be easier.

Hahaha!!

Mine is so basic man. I just have a black background and I have lace rock throughout the tank. Couple airstones for them to play in and the right side of the tank a handful of fake plants. Simple but I like it.

I'll get a showcase thread going soon with all my tanks.

steez said:
Hahaha!!

Mine is so basic man. I just have a black background and I have lace rock throughout the tank. Couple airstones for them to play in and the right side of the tank a handful of fake plants. Simple but I like it.

I'll get a showcase thread going soon with all my tanks.

Yeah I'd need a crew and a weekend to break it down. Then if it wasn't set up I'd go nuts!! And YEAH!! Get those pictures up!!

Back
Top Bottom