getting started on a 10g tank help me out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macdogg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10g tank with a filter and heater. I used api quick start and aquarium salt. What test kits should I get and around how much are they...i have all that stuff in there and a gold fish no plants or anything yet. Everything look ok just want to make sure everything stays ok. I want to get more fish but I want to make sure there not going to die

The API Master Test Kit is the one used and trusted by most of us here on this site. You can get it from a store for $30 or go online (amazon I think has them) to find them cheaper.

You have a goldfish in there now? Keeping a goldfish in a 10 gallon is bad idea. You'll have to be doing daily water changes just to keep the water clean and safe for it. Adding more fish would only create a worse problem for you and I would really advise against it...

I know the goldfish are very dirty fish I can see this lol...I got it at a fair for my daughter it was free. To be honest I thought it would have does by now. I had 2 bit 1 died. To be honest I don't care about cleaning it daily with a siphon iv been doing it for a month now everyday in the little thing I had for it until I got this tank

I would suggest finding a new home for the fish if you don't feel like doing daily cleanings of his tank.

Goldfish need a minimum of 20 gals for one goldie assuming it's a fancy; comets, commons and koi need ponds as they can grow very large. They also require 10x the normal filtration.

Here are some links to get you started. I suggest doing daily 50% water changes until you can get a test kit (liquid, not strips; API master is best. Most pet/fish stores have it or you can get it from Amazon or BigAls online). Also you should think about either rehoming the fish or upgrading to a 20 gal (larger if you want more fish although there aren't many fish you can keep with goldies as they are coldwater fish, not tropical).

Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

Keeping a goldfish under conditions that are unsuitable for it is irresponsible and sometimes downright cruel.

Alright so I rehomed. The goldie and it was a fancy...I Sid multiple water changes and also naught the test kit...I did a 50% change today after I gave the fish to someone and also had to buy a new heater because my otherone broke. Im going to wait until tomorrow to test the water. What chemicals should I get besides the test lit I got. Do you this.k the tank will develop by itself

Do you want to do fish in or fishless cycle? Fishless cycles are fairly fast a few weeks and fish in is usually 6-8 weeks and you take a chance of losing more fish. I have a good article on how to do a fishless cycle that I always use and my 10 gal was cycled in 2 weeks using it.

And please don't let what some say on here get you down or make you feel bad, chances are they did the same thing.

Actually I almost freak out in the 1 person...good reason why I never used forums before Someone always calla me cruel or something stupid for stupid reasons...anyway a fishless cycle...id like to introduce fish to a good environment for a good start you know

Actually I almost freak out in the 1 person...good reason why I never used forums before Someone always calla me cruel or something stupid for stupid reasons...anyway a fishless cycle...id like to introduce fish to a good environment for a good start you know

Ya I hear ya. Sadly enough there are people on here that I think just like to hear their own voice so to say. Lol. Those people are not worth your time. Ignore them.

Here is the article I follow for my fishless cycles and it works like a charm every time. If you need any help just say the word.

Fishless Cycling - Article at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish

Very informal buddy thanks...so I had a goldie in there for a week so I can only guess there is enough ammonia in there...plus the food and feces...so im going.g to actually test it right now and see what my nitrites and ammonia are at and log it down

Ya test your tank and see what they come back at. Your gonna have to feed ammonia to your tank though again as you no longer have anything in there to create it.

So nitrite and ammonia are at about. 25-.50....I guess I kinda started a fish in cycle...what's your opinion...do you think its starting to be cycled...I also did a 50% water change a few hours ago...should I wait till tomorrow and see what happens

Good, pure ammonia is the best way to go. How high is ammonia now? You don't want it to go past 4-5 or else that could stall the cycle too; if it's higher than 5 do a water change to get it down.

It was higher...I did a 30% water change going.g to wait until later to check it

Another question...I got an acid buffer or something like that...I couldn't find a ph down so I got that...it say it lowers ph but I think it made it higher...what is going on

macdogg said:
Another question...I got an acid buffer or something like that...I couldn't find a ph down so I got that...it say it lowers ph but I think it made it higher...what is going on

It's best not to mess with the Ph, it's better to let it stay stable on its own with your water changes. Trying to adjust it can cause more problems than its worth.

Back
Top Bottom