Ghost Shrimp and A community fw Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffs10

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone know if ghost shrimp can live in my communnity tank. I have guppies and platies. Do you think my fish would leave the ghost shrimp alone?

Or is there any other type of shrimp or crab that can live in my tank and get along with my fish. I have a 5 gallon tank i keep a dozen ghost shrimp and gut load them for my puffer and i see that they keep the bottom of my tank very clean and thought it would be good for my coummunity tank to clean the uneaten food off the botton.

any suggustion would be great.

They will do fine in a community tank. I think the guppies and platies will leave them alone. If you don't have hard water, you'll need to add a calcium supplement. They need it to harden their shells after they molt. Get some Kent or Seachem iodine and add one drop per 5gal. They need iodine to molt. Without it, they will likley turn white and die because they can't get rid of their old shell. Good luck! They are fascinating to watch. You may also want to try some Amanos or Bamboo.The bamboo shrimp will eat all of the particles that a diatom filter removes, leaving you crystal clear water.

Kim

Also get yourself some cherry shrimp if you ever see them. They are lovely bright red color (males) and they will reproduce in a FW setup. Your guppies and platies won't bother them.

Back
Top Bottom