Gills bright red. Poopig out.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crazyhermitcrab

Aquarium Advice Freak
I set up my pond 3.5 weeks ago. For the first 2.6 weeks their was high ammonia and nitrite. I cycled the pond with a lot of feeder goldfish and my guppies.
I noticed that one of the fish has bright red gills that are pooping out.
Now the pond is cycled, we added new fish. The goldfishs gills are still red, I think it's smaller. When will it get better?

Answer these Qs to ensure we have as much information as possible about your ailing fish and its environment:

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
Common goldfish, red gills

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
Temp: 60-80
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
Ph: 8.2

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
1,099 gallons. Almost a month.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
I made a waterfall filter and pump is 1800 GPH

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
20-30 feeder/common goldfish (2-3")
4 comet goldfish (3-5")
6 shubunkins (3-4")
Black moor (4")
4 Fancy tailed goldfish (1.5")
Pleco (2")
25 endlers (.3-1")

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
I havn't. I have topped off water.

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
The sick fish is 3.5 weeks old. I drip acclimated.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
Driftwood, rocks, decor.

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
Tetra fish goldfish flakes
Kens probiotic goldfish flakes

Most likely it's ammonia poisoning... It should get better over the next few weeks. It will however cause some permanent damage so there isn't much you can do now besides keeping the water quality in check.

Most likely it's ammonia poisoning... It should get better over the next few weeks. It will however cause some permanent damage so there isn't much you can do now besides keeping the water quality in check.

+1

It's likely excessive toxin exposure combined with flukes. Damage from toxin exposure is not treatable in general but flukes are and fish should be treated annually. Feeder goldfish in particular (as well as any other fish) should be well quarantined as they are typically not the healthiest specimens to introduce to any aquatic environment. It's very possible that there may be additional issues as well. I hope you have plans in place for the fancies and the pleco for winter?

What exactly do you mean by red gills? Healthy gill lamellae should be bright red. Can You get a picture?

You say the gills are popping out.... is the gill cover held 'flared out' or does it look like some of the gill cover is missing?

IMO, it would be strange for just this one fish to be effected by ammonia toxicity. Is the fish otherwise healthy?

One last question...... how on earth have those endlers not been eaten? :-D

What exactly do you mean by red gills? Healthy gill lamellae should be bright red. Can You get a picture?

You say the gills are popping out.... is the gill cover held 'flared out' or does it look like some of the gill cover is missing?

IMO, it would be strange for just this one fish to be effected by ammonia toxicity. Is the fish otherwise healthy?

One last question...... how on earth have those endlers not been eaten? :-D

I will try and get a picture, the fish came like it when I bought it. Yes it looks like the gills are flared out.

There was actually 2 "sick" fish but the other one is better.

I don't know how they weren't eaten. The dry aren't bothered either,

+1

It's likely excessive toxin exposure combined with flukes. Damage from toxin exposure is not treatable in general but flukes are and fish should be treated annually. Feeder goldfish in particular (as well as any other fish) should be well quarantined as they are typically not the healthiest specimens to introduce to any aquatic environment. It's very possible that there may be additional issues as well. I hope you have plans in place for the fancies and the pleco for winter?

Yes the pleco, bettas, and endlers will go to my tropical tank. And I am looking for a good goldfish tank.

Ok

Back
Top Bottom