GLA 6g Rimless 36-L - My First Iwagumi Inspired Scape Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update Time...

Well my tank is finally recovering after the major cleaning and tank surgery... I transferred my Fluval 106 and Lily Pipes to the ADA 60F and added the AC 20 here. Trust me, I was tempted to buy another 106, but money is tight. I also moved my pressurized co2 system to the ADA 60F and whipped up a DIY co2 generator. To my delight, it worked the first time and with the NAG aqua diffuser... Only issue is the drop checker (after a week of DIY co2 injection) is now close to yellow-greenish. I don't see any problems from the fish trying to hover and gasp for air -- so I'm keeping my fingers crossed the DIY co2 is not too much for a 6g. On the bright side, my plants look to be doing real well with no signs of algae anywhere!

I also added 4 CPD's and 5 Pygmy Corys. 2 of my 3 dwarf puffs didn't make it (long story). The last DP got rehomed.

I know this tank doesn't look as nice w/out the lily pipes and the HOB has some getting used to.. but this is it for now. I'm trying to regrow my HC carpet with a bunch of little HC stems that survived my major cleaning. I'll probably plant some more if it takes too long to grow from my GF's 60F after it gets trimmed.

So here's some pics of the tank and new inhabitants... Oh, and I'm thinking of adding a scarlet badis as the centerpiece fish.

iSznmkkOPcTjC.jpg

iQwDVsRxzVPlz.jpg

ibuYMsAjBQwna9.jpg

iEnL77MNPI9Rf.jpg

Another downside of not having my lily pipes is that I now have to contend with a protein layer. Oh well... the thunder has been stolen by the 60F! Haha

ivlOOPCWdrw2N.jpg

Oh and I was testing the idea of not having the light suspended anymore so it can hide the HOB somewhat. Maybe use the docking legs? But only downside is that I'll probably have to figure out a new photoperiod duration.

ibrrbZ7rynyix4.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

Last edited:
Thanks Rodeo!

Thanks Bill! You should get some for that 12L rescape.

Sad day... two of the 4 CPDs have disappeared, no bodies or anything. I found 1 alive inside the AC20 and rescued him ASAP. I had the filter on the lowest setting but apparently they can still get sucked up so I installed a sponge prefilter. Now I just have 2 left... these little guys are expensive and super shy. What do you guys think about trying some ember tetra instead?

Sorry to hear about your CPDs :/ I hate when that happens. I got 8 chili rasboras and the filter was on its lowest setting, so I was pretty sure there was no way that they could get sucked up since it was barely any flow. Well they ALL somehow got into it and died.

Man...sorry to hear that, Max! I've never had chili rasboras either but have always admired them at the LFS. They're pricey little fish too! Ouch!

Another option would be microdevario kubotai- they are a nice bright green.

Well traded a good amount of plant trimmings yesterday for 2 Scarlet Badis and 5 Ember Tetra. I decided to put the Ember's in my 12g nano cube.

Here's the Scarlet Badis
iUUBZZFkaDlSS.jpg

How do you like the Scarlet Badis? I set my 55g up for a nano fish tank and have 12 Scarlet Badis coming in Tues along with several other nano fish. What are you feeding?

They look great! I'm being motivated to start a smaller tank :p

Thank you...I'm really enjoying them so far. Perfect size for a nano tank. You should start one... little scapes and working with scale is fun. It has its unique challenges.

How do you like the Scarlet Badis? I set my 55g up for a nano fish tank and have 12 Scarlet Badis coming in Tues along with several other nano fish. What are you feeding?

Wow.. they'll get lost in such a big tank -- albeit getting them in large quantity. I'm glad I finally got these little fish. They're so interesting to watch. They really remind me of a miniature cichlid. Right now I'm feeding them mini frozen bloodworms. They're not as hard to feed as I thought. I find feeding my dwarf puffer more difficult.

I REALLY LIKE these Scarlet Badis! They're the perfect little fish for a nano IMO!

Here are some better pictures of my Scarlet Badis -- these were taken (by my GF) next to a Marimo Moss ball about the size of a golfball.

ixcMHfVDBhQr.JPG

ibxUcrw1mTSh55.JPG

ig0FiNeFksfSf.JPG

iLoWqFKtn0bIR.JPG

Thanks! They're just a little shy... my CPD's in this same tank are way more shy by comparison.

Yeah they eat mini frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp. They won't touch pellets or flakes. I actually have that marimo moss ball in a 1/2 gallon cube with two rili shrimp. That little cube is infested with copepods so they get in the moss ball. Then once a week, I'll drop the moss ball in my 6g here for a day (repeat when it's loaded again). It's super cool to watch these little guys go nuts on the live micro foods. They're little hunters.

Yeah they eat mini frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp. They won't touch pellets or flakes. I actually have that marimo moss ball in a 1/2 gallon cube with two rili shrimp. That little cube is infested with copepods so they get in the moss ball. Then once a week, I'll drop the moss ball in my 6g here for a day (repeat when it's loaded again). It's super cool to watch these little guys go nuts on the live micro foods. They're little hunters.

That's cool man! Glad it's working out so well!

Back
Top Bottom