GLA 6g Rimless 36-L - My First Iwagumi Inspired Scape Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Niks! It's really a mess right now and I need to give the HC a trim, clean up the sand, and clean those lily pipes! haha

Yeah that's the one bad thing about the pipes... Cleaning them :). One of those heat guns is a good investment so you can easily remove the hoses and facilitate easy cleaning.

Weird that your blyxa is melting but other plants look ok. Blyxa is usually hardy as long as you have enough light.

May I ask about how much this whole setup cost? I'm always looking for another project to start but being a college student I must save up for awhile before I can really get into anything. Amazing looking tank btw!!! Do you have your shrimp in yet? I couldn't tell.

Yeah that's the one bad thing about the pipes... Cleaning them :). One of those heat guns is a good investment so you can easily remove the hoses and facilitate easy cleaning.

Weird that your blyxa is melting but other plants look ok. Blyxa is usually hardy as long as you have enough light.

So where do i get this heat gun Justin? Yeah I'm not sure what's going on with the Blyxa, it was super healthy 2 weeks ago. There were some overhead blockage from the flame moss, but it wasn't too bad.. I moved the moss back in case. Hope it bounces back.

So where do i get this heat gun Justin? Yeah I'm not sure what's going on with the Blyxa, it was super healthy 2 weeks ago. There were some overhead blockage from the flame moss, but it wasn't too bad.. I moved the moss back in case. Hope it bounces back.

Probably a little more sensible to use your girls hair dryer... ;) :lol:

May I ask about how much this whole setup cost? I'm always looking for another project to start but being a college student I must save up for awhile before I can really get into anything. Amazing looking tank btw!!! Do you have your shrimp in yet? I couldn't tell.

Hmm this is a tough one.. Well the GLA tank is sold out at the moment. It was 45+ shipping. But its dimensions are the same as an ADA Mini M. Aquatop makes one too with the same dimensions and high clarity glass on TruAqua's website.

The 16" Finnex Ray 2 was $60.
The Aquatek mini regulator was $90. 2x paintball tanks for $40. Substrate can vary, but i think its around $20. PPS-Pro ferts package was $30 http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizers-supplements/pps-pro-fertilizer-package.html

The Fluval 106 was $80, so were the Cal Aqua lily pipes. Filter tubing was $6. The co2 diffuser $12. Drop checker $10.

Plus plants and maintenance supplies... Its definitely a money pit! Haha

Last edited:
Amazing looking tank btw!!! Do you have your shrimp in yet? I couldn't tell.

Sorry missed the last question... I moved the shrimp out to a temporary holding tank because we got rid of the puffer tank to make room for my GF's ADA 60-F (shallow rimless). We're going to make the 60-F the shrimp tank and my 6g here has become the new dwarf puffer tank. Oh and thanks for compliment!

Naw.. Just total melt down. I neglected it so bad that i almost tore it all down. The HC wasn't rooted down well anymore and the healthy top layer was so thick the bottom was practically dead. The top layer i gave to my GF for her DSM in her tank. What was left didn't recover all to well.

I finally gave this tank a thorough cleaning, siponing, and cleaned the pipes and hoses. I replanted what i could to salvage what's left.

I was very tempted to just tear down the whole thing and start over. I've been wanting to try a new scape with ADA Africana as the substrate. But money is tight so that is on the backburner for now.

Here's some pics after the thorough cleaning.. Not very pretty but i feel better that i finally cleaned everything...especially the lily pipes! Lol

ForumRunner_20130616_152052.jpg

ForumRunner_20130616_152118.jpg

ForumRunner_20130616_152144.jpg

From first to last picture it's looking much better after the clean up job. Slack off on these guys and they can go wild in no time. That's what keeps me diligent with the 220... I don't want that puppy getting away from me!

I have the same problem with my HC... I actually have a lot die under... My last trimming was super nerve racking because I could tell a lot wanted to lift up as I was trimming. You have to be so careful, it's like tank surgery! Haha

Back
Top Bottom