Glofish Keep Dying New Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am not qualified to say. Happy ..probably not by himself. Die...if he dies here soon its not because of loneliness.
Fyi you can buy seeded media online or perhaps ask your lfs.

I appreciate all the responses and help!

I'm not sure where to go from here. Should I look in to getting more fish and doing a fish in cycle? I'm planning on getting some gravel and the filter from my mom's established tank.

If I should get more fish, what kind? The Glofish didn't make it so long when I had 4 at once. Our tank should technically be able to hold 5.

If I add more fish, I should add bacteria, right? Or should I just do frequent water changes once the ammonia builds up? I test every day but haven't made it that far because the fish keep dying. I currently have one seemingly happy Glofish and 3 snails.

So, is my lone Glofish going to die from loneliness?

Schooling and shoaling fish do have added stress when alone, but with a cycled tank and maybe another type of fish it will be fine, assuming there isn't some other underlying issue. The fact that it's still alive is promising, and I believe the water change helped. Keep us updated and don't hesitate to ask questions! :)

Another question:

When testing with the API Master kit, my pH comes out at 7.6 every time. If I then test with the high pH test, it's always different. Earlier today it was 8.8, and tonight (several hours after the partial water change) it is 7.8. I think I read an earlier comment to my post that said I shouldn't use the high pH test. Is that true? Also, since the pH came down with the partial water change, should I do another tomorrow?

You don't need to use the high range test.
Test your tap water. I have well water which is 6.7 ish out of the tap. My tanks consistently read 7.6, so rather than doing one large water change a week I do more frequent smaller ones.
As far as your question goes, it never hurts to do a partial water change, especially since you've had some issues and you still have a surviving fish.

What fish are currently in your mothers tank? I ask because it may be possible to place the glofish in that tank until you have done a fish-in cycle.

What fish are currently in your mothers tank? I ask because it may be possible to place the glofish in that tank until you have done a fish-in cycle.

I think Fishkeeping meant fish-LESS cycle. [emoji4]. With some filter media from mom's tank we could get things rolling...
First thing, if you have an Ace Hardware nearby, stop in an get a bottle of pure ammonia. No surfactants. Not many places carry it. Please make sure it's pure.

She has Glofish as well. My remaining fish seems to be doing well. If I were to try a fish in cycle, how many fish should I get for my 10-gallon tank?

It would be so much easier to put your fish in your mom's tank and get your cycle over with while it's empty. It's not difficult at all. If you can't find ammonia you can use a piece of shrimp. You already have access to seeded media from your mom's tank. You wouldn't have to do water changes or anywhere near as much testing.

But, we'll help you either way you decide.

Last edited:
It would be so much easier to put your fish in your mom's tank and get your cycle over with while it's empty. It's not difficult at all. If you can't find ammonia you can use a piece of shrimp. You already have access to seeded media from your mom's tank. You wouldn't have to do water changes or anywhere near as much testing.

But, we'll help you either way you decide.
Reygan2 is 100% right, fishless with seeded media would be so much easier, possibly faster too. If you use fish and have trouble cycle will just drag on with problems.

Problem is not many fish appropriate for 10g stocking are fish id recommend for fish in cycle.

Ok, I can put my fish in my mom's tank. What about my snails? Do they need to go too? My mom has a 10-gallon tank with 4 Glofish (mine makes 5), would her tank support 2 snails as well as my fish?

Ok, I can put my fish in my mom's tank. What about my snails? Do they need to go too? My mom has a 10-gallon tank with 4 Glofish (mine makes 5), would her tank support 2 snails as well as my fish?

Sure. You will want to do an extra partial water change per week while we cycle your tank, but it shouldn't be a problem. Cut down on feeding your mom's tank too during this. The snails should transfer just fine.
Are you going to be able to find a bottle of pure ammonia?

Sure. You will want to do an extra partial water change per week while we cycle your tank, but it shouldn't be a problem. Cut down on feeding your mom's tank too during this. The snails should transfer just fine.
Are you going to be able to find a bottle of pure ammonia?

Yes, I will go to Ace Hardware and get some pure ammonia. Anything else I need?

Mom lives an hour away. I will transfer my fish and snails on Wednesday when I can get out there.

Thanks so much for all the help!

Be sure to get some of her gravel with the junk in it, and switch the filter. Keep both wet, I'd throw them in a ziplock bag with some tank water. A clean bucket would work as long as it's never been used for anything else.

Careful transporting your fish to your mom's. A bucket would work well for that. Keep it warm too!

Last edited:
Be sure to get some of her gravel with the junk in it, and switch the filter. Keep both wet, I'd throw them in a ziplock bag with some tank water. A clean bucket would work as long as it's never been used for anything else.

Careful transporting your fish to your mom's. A bucket would work well for that. Keep it warm too!

I secured the ammonia yesterday. I will be transporting my fish and snails to my mom's aquarium tomorrow. You mentioned to use a bucket. Once I get to her aquarium, do I just plop my fish in? How can I match the temperature? Should I put the fish in a bag and float it?

Would it be worth putting a product like Stability in my mom's tank after switching her filter and taking some gravel?

I also ordered the Aqua Clear 30 filter from Amazon. It should be here Thursday. Anything else I need to get the tank going? I read heat increases bacteria growth. Is it worth getting another heater to add to the tank?

Thanks again for the help!

Back
Top Bottom