Gluteraldehyde Question - Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just dose it straight. Not sure why distilled would be imperative in dilution either way for this chemical.

I don't know either, could be all the crap in our drinking water might have an adverse reaction in the mix or something I just know our plant guru rivercats did say to use distilled so I would stick with that since distilled is pretty much zero everything.

My personal opinion in why I'm going to dilute my Glut is because I want to place it right in the Excel bottle and keep it Excel strength so I can keep dosing the same -- business as usual mentality. Also, it makes it convenient when measuring it out to mix in my dry fert Micro nutrients solution. No extra math needed. :)

I don't know either, could be all the crap in our drinking water might have an adverse reaction in the mix or something I just know our plant guru rivercats did say to use distilled so I would stick with that since distilled is pretty much zero everything.

Okay, I think its important to understand why we do or recommend certain things. There may be a good reason to use distilled but I don't know it and am not compelled to go to the store just for a dilution medium.

Using glutaraldehyde isn't exactly new, we've been doing this for several years now.

The only time I wouldn't use tap water in this application is if the water is so bad that I'm not using it in my tanks. That's just my take on it anyhow.

It could be because of the chlorine in it. You know what ill just make a thread asking why to dilute with distilled water. In sure we will have an answer in a day or so.

My personal opinion in why I'm going to dilute my Glut is because I want to place it right in the Excel bottle and keep it Excel strength so I can keep dosing the same -- business as usual mentality. Also, it makes it convenient when measuring it out to mix in my dry fert Micro nutrients solution. No extra math needed. :)

+1 on recycling, reuse, and consistency. Plus the small Excel bottle is easier to handle and store as opposed to a gallon or so container.

I use RO water myself since I have an RO unit. You can use distilled or RO. I've never mixed it with tap but I do what Brian does and mix it as needed and use an old Excel bottle I kept.

If mixed at a 1 to 1 ratio of Glut to water you get a higher solution of Glut than Excel and when mixed at a 1 to 1.5 ratio you get a lower solution of Glut than Excel. I personally use the 1 to 1 ratio because I am very conscientious about my dosing and understand I am using a stronger percentage of Glut.

^^ Cool... I read a ton of threads on TPT and barrreport about dosing Glut various methods. Some people just dose straight in the tank at a much smaller dosage as they would Excel because its about 2.6X stronger. Another would mix it with some aquarium water right before putting it in the tank.

I dose it straight into my tanks and have never had an issue doing that.

Last edited by a moderator:
And is gluteraldehyde just a fertilizer (micro right and the powders are macro or am I backwards) or is it also a co2 supplement I'm starting to get tired of this whole inconsistency of the diy co2 and having to make a new reactor everyother month and fix leaks and what not.

Glut is a liquid carbon not a fertilizer. I use it instead of CO2 and achieve very good results using it.

And is gluteraldehyde just a fertilizer (micro right and the powders are macro or am I backwards) or is it also a co2 supplement I'm starting to get tired of this whole inconsistency of the diy co2 and having to make a new reactor everyother month and fix leaks and what not.

I only mentioned mixing it in the micro nutrient solution if you get into "dry ferts" like in the PPS-Pro dosing method. Rivercats enlightened to mixing in 10mL of excel to every 250mL of micros to prevent mold (macros don't need it).

I use 5ml of the Glut 1 to 1 ratio to every 250ml of micro and macro solution. I know the micros are prone to mold/fungus but I also had some appear in my phosphate/potassium mix once a while back and now just add it to all the solutions. It won't hurt them so I figure that way I don't have to worry about any of them.

Oh cool.. Congrats on taking the plunge. Its definitely a money saver over using products like Seachem.

Anyway, as long as you add the Glut (or Excel) to the micro solution you shouldn't have mold forming --hence the purpose of adding it in the first place.

OK Thanks, yeah I saw on the label where it could put a hurt on you if you got goofy with it. LOL. After reading all the doctor stuff in the label, I thought about getting a white coat, a stethyscope, and calling myself an amateur gynecologist!! LMOA. OS.

Too funny LOL!!

Ha! Got my second gallon of glut in the mail today.I double ordered by accident. I guess i"ve got about ???? years of supply now. Sheeesh! Also got my new quad T5 HO light set up & running. I can program 2 tubes then four tubes separately! Its about 30% brighter on two tubes than my old two tube light and on four tubes-- WOW! Fish might think their in a broadway show now. Later, OS.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom