going from FW to SW 29gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rokz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've decided that I want to switch my 29gal from a FW to SW. I've never had a SW tank so I have a couple of questions. Current the equipment I have is a HOT Magnum 250gph and a coralife aqualight 130w lighting. I also have a 150w hang on heater. I think I read somewhere that the heater needs to be submersible. If so, brand and model do you recommend at a descent price. Will my filter work or should I throw in a pump like a maxi 900 or 1200. Also I was looking at skimmers and I saw a seaclone 100 for $63 at bigalsonline. Is the seaclone a good skimmer or is there another that would work better for the same price. Oh yeah, I plan to make my tank a FOWLR setup.

Thanks for the advice.

Salt content

One of the things you will have to worry about is your salt content. As water evaporates, your salt content rises. This something that all SW tanks have to deal with, but for you (30gal), it becomes much more important because all changes will happen quicker.

I've been running a 30gal for 10 years, and just recently added a 20gal sump...mainly to increase the total amount of water in the system. I've also automated the evaporation compensation.

You'll definitely have to deal with the other things you've asked about, but getting your SpG stable will be the first thing you have to learn.

Small tanks are nice in some ways. (I can afford to run on bottled water)..but they are less stable and need better attention.

I think I read somewhere that the heater needs to be submersible.

It is suggested, submersible heaters will not be as effected by the corrosive properties of SW as the hang on type.

brand and model do you recommend at a descent price.

They are pricey, but the Won Pro-Heat titanium heaters are the best out there IMO. If you don't want to spend the money, ebo-jager makes a good glass heater.

Will my filter work or should I throw in a pump like a maxi 900 or 1200
I plan to make my tank a FOWLR setup.

If you use at least 1-1.5 lbs of LR per gallon you do not need to additional filtration except for water motion and occasional carbon use. I would recommend a couple of powerheads though for additional water movement.

Also I was looking at skimmers and I saw a seaclone 100 for $63 at bigalsonline. Is the seaclone a good skimmer

Not IMO, but may work OK on a 29g tank, I would recommend something a little more expensive, the bak pak 2r or the AquaC remora.

WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION! :mrgreen:

It sounds like you have the basics covered but may I suggest that you make the investment on a few key pieces that will make your life much easier down the road.

1. Skimmer. This little gadget is worth all the money you can afford to spend on it, ESPECIALLY on a smaller tank. Buy the best, and biggest, you can afford.

2. Heater. There is nothing worse than coming home and seeing boiled Lionfish, or worse..boiled reef, in your tank. We invest considerable amounts of money in the live stock...it would be foolish to skimp on the very things that keep them alive. Again...buy the best you can afford.

3. Lights. Once you decide to go reef...buy the best you can afford. (but thats down the road for you).

Also, buy a few good books. The Conscientious Marine Aquarist is an excellent one.

HTH

Squishy

Back
Top Bottom