Going on vacation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pipsqueakkk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gallon tank and a 29 gallon. What is the best way to keep the fed while I'm gone for 9 days?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If you can have someone feed for you that's ideal. Daily isn't necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They can survive 9 days without food.
Leaving someone else to feeding that has no experience can be worse since it's easy to overfeed...Of course unless you give them strict instructions. At the moment I'm away from home for a week and I'm not worried a bit without feeding them all this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Get this guy right here

14 slots to hold food, can program up to 4 feedings per day. It says $31 on Amazon, i think we got ours on Dr. Fosters & Smith for $25ish.

Hope that helps!

I have a 10 gallon tank and a 29 gallon. What is the best way to keep the fed while I'm gone for 9 days?

Don't feed them. You can give em a little extra before you leave but do not get an automatic feeder or anything. Just let them be

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Don't feed them. You can give em a little extra before you leave but do not get an automatic feeder or anything. Just let them be

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Why would you not wanna feed your fish? I don't leave my rabbits with no food for days on end, even if they could survive...

Why would you not wanna feed your fish? I don't leave my rabbits with no food for days on end, even if they could survive...

Think about, u feed fish they poop A lot which builds up and turns to all nitrates, ammonia, nitrites which can harm your fish. The OP wil be leaving his/her fish for 9 days which would leave you with missing a water change ( that I do every 7 days). If u do not feed them, they will poop a lot less and they would be fine for 9 days

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Think about, u feed fish they poop A lot which builds up and turns to all nitrates, ammonia, nitrites which can harm your fish. The OP wil be leaving his/her fish for 9 days which would leave you with missing a water change ( that I do every 7 days). If u do not feed them, they will poop a lot less and they would be fine for 9 days

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Makes sense! Never thought about it that way!

Being without food for 9 days isn't OK. They may survive but its not ideal. I would trust a little extra waste more than fish unfed for 9 days.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Being without food for 9 days isn't OK. They may survive but its not ideal. I would trust a little extra waste more than fish unfed for 9 days.

Well first how bout we ask what kind of fish and stock the OP currently has... Than we can go from there

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

No matter the fish 9 days is pushing it. 3 to 4 sure... have u left fish unfed for 9 days? I left some guppies unfed for a 7 day trip with no feeder block and found two dead and almost picked clean. I worry more would've died had those two not been ate.

No matter the fish 9 days is pushing it. 3 to 4 sure... have u left fish unfed for 9 days? I left some guppies unfed for a 7 day trip with no feeder block and found two dead and almost picked clean. I worry more would've died had those two not been ate.

I went to Chicago for a week and didn't feed my fish at all, came back and all of them where fine, I also have a leopard ctenopoma and senegalus polypterus in my stock and both didn't eat anything. My opinion would just let them be. I feed my fish once every 2 days and there huge

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

The ten gallon tank is a cory cat, rasboras and a betta, the 29 is neon tetras, mollies , a BN pelco and a betta

I went to Chicago for a week and didn't feed my fish at all, came back and all of them where fine, I also have a leopard ctenopoma and senegalus polypterus in my stock and both didn't eat anything. My opinion would just let them be. I feed my fish once every 2 days and there huge

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Well that's good it worked out for you. For some perspective I was within a week from posting a thread for this exact situation for when I go on vacation in may for only seven days. 9 days without food doesn't seem like a good idea. If an automated fish feeder can be set to distribute an exact amount of food at proper intervals then it seems to me that being two days late on a water change would be far preferable to not feeding your fish for 9 days.

Well that's good it worked out for you. For some perspective I was within a week from posting a thread for this exact situation for when I go on vacation in may for only seven days. 9 days without food doesn't seem like a good idea. If an automated fish feeder can be set to distribute an exact amount of food at proper intervals then it seems to me that being two days late on a water change would be far preferable to not feeding your fish for 9 days.

Maybe feed them once every other day. That would seem to be a happy medium between not having waste and them not eating.

I'd have someone just stop by once to feed them (a predetermined amount). I do agree though that assuming there are no fry in these tanks they'd be fine for 9 days without food.

Sent from my iPad using science

I'd have someone just stop by once to feed them (a predetermined amount). I do agree though that assuming there are no fry in these tanks they'd be fine for 9 days without food.

Sent from my iPad using science

Yea can't fish go for over 2 weeks without food?? Not saying for anybody to try this ??

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

News to me. Probably breed specific as well. I was going to ask about the effectiveness of those time release feeder blocks. Only concern being potential ammonia spikes. Be interesting to hear from someone who has used them.

Back
Top Bottom