Going on vacation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If its a well established tank you would be surprised how much there is to eat in the tank. They will forage in every crack there is to look in. If you can get some one to stop by in the middle of your vacation to feed once that would be best. Have the food measured out and hide all the rest. If it was me I would do a large water change and feed right before leaving. And do another water change when I got back and feed. Most likely they will be fine for 9 days. Only problem might be if you have larger hungry fish with smaller fish.

If its a well established tank you would be surprised how much there is to eat in the tank. They will forage in every crack there is to look in. If you can get some one to stop by in the middle of your vacation to feed once that would be best. Have the food measured out and hide all the rest. If it was me I would do a large water change and feed right before leaving. And do another water change when I got back and feed. Most likely they will be fine for 9 days. Only problem might be if you have larger hungry fish with smaller fish.

Exactly point I was trying to make!!! That is also why I asked the OP for their stock

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

I've done a week several times without problems. Big feed and big water change before leaving, big water change on return.

I'd suggest one of those pill containers with days of the week to put food in if you leave it for a friend. You control the portions, and hide the rest.

I have an automatic Eheim feeder and it scares me. If it malfunctions and dumps a lot of food, the ammonia spike could be disastrous.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sorry for not being specific: 10 gallon: 5 rasboras 1 cory 1 betta 29 gallon: 4 mollies , 8 neons , 1 BN , 1 betta

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Okay in all honesty... I understand that fish can go that long... But think, if you were left for even 4 days without food. How uncomfortable and weak you'd feel. Seems like neglect to go a week without feeding your fish. My fish are my pets and I would never even slightly risk them not getting to eat. Even if they can survive.

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

Okay in all honesty... I understand that fish can go that long... But think, if you were left for even 4 days without food. How uncomfortable and weak you'd feel. Seems like neglect to go a week without feeding your fish. My fish are my pets and I would never even slightly risk them not getting to eat. Even if they can survive.

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

Fish and humans are very different.....our metabolisms are a lot different from those of fish

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Fish have reasonably fast metabolisms. You seem determined that fish can go very long periods without food. I agree within reason, 4-6 days is no huge cause for concern, but 9 days???
Seems if there is an alternative its preferable.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Fish have reasonably fast metabolisms. You seem determined that fish can go very long periods without food. I agree within reason, 4-6 days is no huge cause for concern, but 9 days???

Yes thank you!! Considering my fish are always pooping I would say it's a fast metabolism!

36g semi-aggressive
20g community
5.5g betta/ghost shrimp
3g betta
2g fry

Think about fish in the wild during winter..... Are they always eating? No actually large mouth bass can slow there metabolism so they don't have to eat

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

I would never leave my fish without food, That seems so cruel to me. Luckily someone will be staying at my house to care for my chickens,dog, and cats. I'm just worried about the amount of food to put in the tanks because I always do a a weekly 30% water change and without that I'm afraid the ammonia will get too high :(

I would never leave my fish without food, That seems so cruel to me. Luckily someone will be staying at my house to care for my chickens,dog, and cats. I'm just worried about the amount of food to put in the tanks because I always do a a weekly 30% water change and without that I'm afraid the ammonia will get too high :(

Which is 10 x worse than going 9 days with out being fed.

Which is 10 x worse than going 9 days with out being fed.

I agree with mike again, if ammonia is a lot worse than your fish not being fed... It Is proven that fish can go a WHILE without being fed.

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Pre measure the food into small containers ahead of time. You can use pillboxes (especially the ones with days marked on them). I just used the plastic condiment cups you find at fast food places.
Most importantly, hide the main food somewhere to prevent over feeding.
As for overwintering, temperature is tied to metabolism. Fish I've kept outdoors are not fed from mid October to March or whenever the temps stay above 50F. They will eat at lower temps, however, the enzymes responsible for digestion won't function so that the food will simply pass through.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

And op just stated someone will be there who can feed them. Just worried about amount which makes most of this discussion useless. As fresh2o pointed out, set an amount you feel comfortable with and leave instructions on feeding. Really not a big deal.

You can get a fish feeder. They clamp onto the side of the tank and every 12 hours it releases a set amount of food and it fairly cheep

Sent from peliper

Back
Top Bottom