Going Tanganyikan -Q&A, Plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, I've been researching like crazy, but down to the stocklist I originally posted and read everything I could about those, so these new ones are somewhat new for me, unless I read something along the way about them. I read to stay away from leleupi as they would be too aggressive so I didn't mention them at all.

The catfish sound very interesting. I'd love to see a pic of those!

Shell stealers - these habits are intriguing and make me curious. So, could I keep the dwarf alto with the ocellatus? And could I add the ornatipinnis to the stocklist or would they have to replace the dwarf altos?

I hear you on hard to find etc. This will be a slow process, unless that is bad and I should add them mostly all at the same time? I've watching the internet like a hawk already to get a head start on finding my stocklist. Mostly watching website stock lists, auctions, and forums and doing Google searches like crazy. Part of why I asked about easy to find help because if I can't get them, it doesn't work out very well, huh? I understand the list could change based on availability and pricing as I go. But having something solid is a good starting point. I appreciate all the input so much.

It's no problem, I like to live vicariously through others tanks sometimes ;)

The callipterus are technically still shellies, as the females are just like any other shell dweller. They're a really interesting species. There's actually a documentary about lake tanganyika and some of the shellies in the wild, let me try to find it on youtube, helped me learn SOOOO much about natural behavior!

I think the variabilichomis moori would be a cool alternative to the comps, but a pair (m/f as they are in fact completely monogamous) is all you could do

You'd be fine to add slowly, I'd try to add the shellies or the cyps first, then add the rock dwellers. The rock dwellers are going to be the most friction and with it this way, you can let the shellies and cyps establish themselves so the rock dwellers are the new ones. Just be prepared to remove a species as not every individual fits the species description, this is obviously all in theory and not 100% sound fact lol

Thanks - what are the callipterus? I don't remember talking about them, but I've been talking a lot LOL!

You'd be fine to add slowly, I'd try to add the shellies or the cyps first, then add the rock dwellers. The rock dwellers are going to be the most friction and with it this way, you can let the shellies and cyps establish themselves so the rock dwellers are the new ones. Just be prepared to remove a species as not every individual fits the species description, this is obviously all in theory and not 100% sound fact lol

For sure. I've had mixes people would drop jaws at on accident because I didn't know, so I understand completely that not everything fits the bill. :lol:

Callipterus are the ones that have the males move the shells around

Research is gonna be the key. Yeah, even a well planned aquarium is gonna have issues, but a LOT less than a impulse aquarium ;)

On a side note this tank is shaping up nicely, can't wait to see it come to fruition.
I have one tank! And it started because I wanted to keep cichlids for the new 6.6 gallon I had gotten and they were the only ones able to fit into it. I liked them so I upgraded. My biggest tank still belongs to my new worlds lol

Last edited by a moderator:
So, as of right now, I can stock:

8-12 Cyprichromis Leptosoma (mpimbwe)
A colony of Lamprologus Ocellatus (start of with what I can get them for 3/4/5/6)
1 Pair of Julidoshromis Transcriptus
1-2 Pair of Eretmodus Cyanostictus
5-7 Syndodontis Petricola or Luccipinnis
and
1 Pair Telmatochromis Vittatus OR
2-3 Lamprologus Ornatipinnis OR
Altolamprologus Compressiceps Sumbu Dwarf (#?) OR
1 Pair Variabilichromis Moorii

I will watch the video. Thanks for posting it. ...and more reading since my last selection is undecided still.

I really appreciate all this input!! Can't say "Thank You" enough for living vicariously through my soon-to-be tank.

Now, my laundry stopped, so I should go to bed as I have to leave in 5 hours to take my son to the airport. It's gonna be a rough day tomorrow. But, planning is so fun. Good night all and I'll be back tomorrow after more watching and reading.

If it were me, I'd try and go with the moori for the last one, not commonly seen and interesting IMO

If it were me, I'd try and go with the moori for the last one, not commonly seen and interesting IMO

I will take that under advisement. Also, the auction for that one is just about an 1 to 1.5 hours from my house. Easy shipping.

If I find something while I'm getting set-up is it okay to house it elsewhere until the tank is completed or should I wait until fully completed. It's hard when you see fish you know you want that aren't readily available, like now.

Telmatochromis bifrenatus (Halembe) - I like the way they look like someone scribbled on their side with a pencil. That's what I like about them based on appearance alone.

I like Ornatipinnis coloring and they have some of that Xeno look that I liked as in these photos here:

img_2578412_0_b4d2aab82cd9ab330c76fc4464e53384.jpg

img_2578412_1_2a42434650fdf5558e76437fbd07ccef.jpg

img_2578412_2_5240fafa83dff98420b703c1efed08b1.jpg

What about 'Lamprologus' callipterus?! They are one of the coolest Shellie's IMO along with Telmatochromis bifrenatus (Halembe).
I talked about callipterus and their odd shell behavior! They're the ones that have giant males that move shells around (as well as dwarf males that sneak into the shells to mate with females of the larger harem keeper males). I love these AND have seen them available. Really wanna try them one day!

I talked about callipterus and their odd shell behavior! They're the ones that have giant males that move shells around (as well as dwarf males that sneak into the shells to mate with females of the larger harem keeper males). I love these AND have seen them available. Really wanna try them one day!

Yes the male are 6",its not that they steal shells they steal the females in the shells from other males. It would be interesting to have a colony in 5' 100 gallon with Cyps.

Back
Top Bottom