Going Tanganyikan -Q&A, Plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
or in the case of some of the odder shellies, the females only (n. callipterus, for example, males are much larger than females and don't fit in shells, instead, they pick up shells and position them in their harem, and usually steal the shells, with female inside, from other males).

Lol I know Mog ;)

Trustmedia, once your tank is ready a couple trips to Hukits club would be a good idea (GCCA). I am sure they will be happy to help in acquiring your stock. Besides that, when you join a club you gain so much more knowledge and great deals from fellow members.

I watched the video. Great video and was neat to see of them in action! I came across this guy today. Any experience, possibility, not so great: Neolamprologus Caudopunctatus

I also found this guy: Neolamprologus furcifer - sounds real interesting. Thoughts on him?

Now, I get to learn what Hukits club is! I'm looking it up right now. Thanks for that, too. Anywhere to get help obtaining stock at a decent price and healthy is great.

Clubs are the way to go. Even if you can attend only a few times a years. Loads of knowledge and help available. ++++++++++ on the deals. That Lil Chicago club is one of the best. Not to far from Wisconsin. Make sure to wear the cheese head hat.

I watched the video. Great video and was neat to see of them in action! I came across this guy today. Any experience, possibility, not so great: Neolamprologus Caudopunctatus

I also found this guy: Neolamprologus furcifer - sounds real interesting. Thoughts on him?

Now, I get to learn what Hukits club is! I'm looking it up right now. Thanks for that, too. Anywhere to get help obtaining stock at a decent price and healthy is great.
images

Look at those teeth on the furcifer! Holy cow! (obviously NOT my photo :))
They are going to be similar to nigriventris in aggression, so I'd say out unfortunately.

As for the n. caudopunctatus, they're another shellie, however, if you were to put your holey rock in the center of the tank and create a barrier between the two sides, you could possibly pull off two species of shellies, one species per side

Clubs are the way to go. Even if you can attend only a few times a years. Loads of knowledge and help available. ++++++++++ on the deals. That Lil Chicago club is one of the best. Not to far from Wisconsin. Make sure to wear the cheese head hat.

LOL. Unfortunately, I don't own one of those. Too close to the border maybe. Sitting in the middle of an WI/IL rival.

Will check out the clubs!

images

Look at those teeth on the furcifer! Holy cow! (obviously NOT my photo :))
They are going to be similar to nigriventris in aggression, so I'd say out unfortunately.

As for the n. caudopunctatus, they're another shellie, however, if you were to put your holey rock in the center of the tank and create a barrier between the two sides, you could possibly pull off two species of shellies, one species per side

I did see that pic on Google images and thought it must be something else! Guess not!!

I didn't mean to send you another shellie. I read on Caudopunctatus that they are free swimming and spawn in caves.

I just found this article http://www.cichlidae.com/article.php?id=72

and one here I read earlier Neolamprologus caudopunctatus

These say they build a nest in a cave, rock, or a pile of substrate it looks like, although one did say they may use shell. Swim in open water and fry are free swimming.

From these two articles, is what I thought would make this a possibility. Now that I think about it, they may however, no matter where they build a nest, compete for a floor space it looks like.

Do you have to use holey rock? It so expensive. Is a pile of rocks sufficient? I have a ton here. I would want to make the tank look like natural environment like what I seen in the Rift Lake movie you suggested I watch.

I was going to ask about the piles as well. With this stock, one pile on one side and shells on other, a pile on both sides and shells in middle, now maybe pile in the middle and shells on either side?

I already read today that Telmatochromis vittatus, my other alternative, specializes in stealing eggs from other cichlids. That may be a problem and need to count them out. ?

Good eye on the caudopunctatus, I think they may end up competing for the shells, not sure though. I see many pics online of them in or around shells.

I like to put all the rocks on one side, I HATE symmetry in a fish tank (love it in everything else lol). Any rock will work, holey rock is just my favorite becasue of the holes that go through it plus it acts as a buffer.

Yeah, I'd count the vittatus out, egg/fry stealing can be a pain to deal with

I am all for non-symmetry. I have a large stump in my 55 on the end instead of the middle. A couple people didn't "like" it, but fish love it because provides a dark space on one side.

+ with the rocks on one side. I'll make that work. I asked about rocks on both sides due to a separation of sorts to keep spiffs to a minimum. Wasn't sure how that worked.

At any rate, another question: Can I add any Juli, just in case I come across something besides transcriptus. I like Dickfeldi Livua - pretty fish. Does it matter which Julis?

to my knowledge most julies are similar in temperament, and they are conspecifically aggressive, so I'd start with 4-5, let 2 pair off, then trade in or sell the rest

Rocks on both ends could work actually quite well, with the shellie colony in the middle. That kind of symmetry can be ok, as it still is natural enough, I actually did that in my 75 but with driftwood

What about Ophthalmotilapia ventralis?

There's a nice blue orange cap and Kigoma, a black one with a white mohawk.

What about Ophthalmotilapia ventralis?

There's a nice blue orange cap and Kigoma, a black one with a white mohawk.

They need allot of space and open water/sand for their small size, 5- 6' tank is the minimum thats recommended.

Here's a snippet from seriously fish:

"Relatively peaceful but territorial when spawning. It should be the dominant species in the tank or it will become withdrawn and male fish will lose colour. It should therefore be housed only with peaceful species. Do not keep it with mbuna or the like. Cyprichromis species and rockdwellers such as Altolamprologus and Julidochromis make good tankmates. It can even be maintyained successfully with shelldwellers. Male fish are aggressive towards other males and unless the tank is very large only a single male should be kept. The males should always be provided with a harem of several females."

I have club members who have kept this fish and the experiences they have shared with me mirror what I read on SF.

Got it - I seen they were "mild mannered tankmates" and not a shellie, so thought it may work. I'll count them out. Ah, I just keep digging. There are soooo many species. Keep thinking there is probably something striking to catch my eye I've overlooked. As I look for another to fit, I learn a ton, too. :)

What color is your substrate? I read a set-up article that dark was best, but really liked the look of the tanks I seen online with white sand and a black background. Any recommendation there?

Also, for the rock piles, should they be many and tall. Or would a shorter pile, but wider pile be better. The lake pictures look more spread out across the ground, so I could assume a shorter pile with many and wide. I did read cyprichromis leptosoma likes a tall rocky ledge, though. Any experience with that or not really a necessity?

I would do a taller stack on one side, a shorter on the other

I use play sand and have a black background, the sand in Tanganyika is lightish anyway

Trustemedia, I've loved reading along this thread as your community is going to be very similar to the one I've been planning these past few months while cycling my 75g tank. Can't wait to see pics of your final arrangement!

Back
Top Bottom