Gold Ocellatus in SW?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Istrom

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys,

So I have a 55 G saltwater tank, and I noticed that Gold Ocellatus shell dwellers like a high PH that is near the same as saltwater. I also know that they like cichlid lake salt, and cichlids evolved from saltwater fish. Is there any chance that Gold Ocellatus could live in a saltwater tank because of these similarities?

Thanks.

I have no experience with that, but if youre dying to find out, try to acclimate them to brackish. Would be interesting.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It wouldn't work. Maybe at a very low salinity like surfer said but definitely not a full marine level.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The "salts" found in Lake Tanganykia are trace minerals, nothing at all like the salt found in seawater. You can acclimate mollies to SW without any problems because they're brackish fish by nature, but not African cichlids or any other FW fish.

Ah, okay. I know that brackish species can be kept in saltwater tanks (though how healthy and happy they will be is debatable) but I was just curious if tanganikyan cichlids were the same.

Back
Top Bottom