Goldfish: Aquarium to Pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

landon_garcia

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone! I have a regular old comet goldfish about 4 inches long in a 20 gallon tank. I bought him for 12 cents 9 years ago.

I am getting a pond this spring which is 600 gallons and the deepest part is three feet.

I was wondering if i could move my goldfish into the pond even though its used to 78 degree water. I live in Pennsylvania so the winters are freezing and the summers are boiling hot!

Any thoughts please respond!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You would be fine moving him to a pond and he would probably appreciate all the extra space. Just make the move in late spring when the pond temperature is closer to that of the tank and will remain warm. You can get him some buddies too! With that size pond you could pick up a few others and they'll do great.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am in Pa as well! Just take your time acclimating him to the pond- pond water tends to run at very different parameters than a tank filled with tap and remember your pond will cycle just like a tank. Also make sure you take steps in the summer to shade the pond and run sufficient aeration (along with filtration) to combat higher temps and reduced oxygen levels. In the winter, you will absolutely need a de-icer and some form of water movement such as a small pump. If you do add buddies, make sure you quarantine them first for a couple of weeks as treating disease in a pond is much more complicated and expensive than a tank.

Hope this helps! Please ask any questions!! :)

Wow thanks for the answer especially since ur from pa! I actually already have two pumps so I guess that should be enough to keep the water from freezing!

Thanks for the help!

If its a mild winter, you may get away with just pumps. If we have a winter even slightly like last winter, a de-icer is an absolute must. It will keep a small area free of ice to prevent toxic gasses from being trapped in the water. :)

If you will be using a pump to keep the surface from icing over then it would be a good idea not to have the pump draw from the bottom of the pond. Prop up the pump on something such as an inverted milk crate. Or extend the intake to the mid level. This will allow proper gas exchange and prevent the water that gets super chilled from mixing with the water at the bottom of the pond.
When it gets really cold I use a donut shaped 100w floating de-icer to keep a hole open at the surface.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom