Good fish for 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

George9

Aquarium Advice Addict
What fish are really colorful and peaceful that I can add to a ten gallon planted tank?

Most tetras, which you can get a small school of...Neons, cardinals, rummynose, black neons, to name a few. Some are a little bigger that need to be housed in 20 gallons or more. I had cherry barbs in with my cardinals but took them back to the store on Friday because they were far too active for my mellow cardinal tetras. In my opinion, one school of the same species would do it. But that's just me.

As a centerpiece fish, you can look at most of the gouramis. Some have very nice coloration.

I wouldn't put a gourami into a 10g. They can grow to 4-5" and that's far too big for a 10g. Perhaps a dwarf gourami. Powder blue dwarfs are beautiful.

Anyways, I would also consider mollys, platys, and cory catfish.

I wouldn't put a gourami into a 10g. They can grow to 4-5" and that's far too big for a 10g. Perhaps a dwarf gourami. Powder blue dwarfs are beautiful.

Anyways, I would also consider mollys, platys, and cory catfish.

There are dwarf gouramis.

Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Dwarf Gourami Labyrinth Fish

Pretty sure I have seen different morphs and species. I've had two.
Sorry, I forgot to say dwarf. Been a while since I've kept them.

**Edit** I should have read the next sentence; you mentioned dwarfs. Sorry!

Ooooh! Endler's livebearers!!! I'm a bit biased as I find them to be extraordinary fish, and I have some in QT right now.

Other than those, maybe guppies? Not sure if you're a fan or not, but they always catch my eye with their colours and how they seem to flutter around the tank.

Some corydoras catfish might go well, too, if you chose a smaller variety. And as someone mentioned, teeny tetras are always popular.

Endler's livebears are really colorful. Guppies are good. Glo-fish (genetically modified zebra danios) are widely available and bright red, orange, or green. If they interbreed, you can have multicolored danios.

Currently, I have 6 golden white clouds in a 10 gallon. They're a yellowish/orangish/flesh color and really pop.

As others have said, a small school of neons or a dwarf gourami or a betta would be comfortable in a 10 gallon.

You can also add a few shrimp, which can be fun to watch.

cinnamaldehyde said:
Ooooh! Endler's livebearers!!! I'm a bit biased as I find them to be extraordinary fish, and I have some in QT right now.

Other than those, maybe guppies? Not sure if you're a fan or not, but they always catch my eye with their colours and how they seem to flutter around the tank.

Some corydoras catfish might go well, too, if you chose a smaller variety. And as someone mentioned, teeny tetras are always popular.

Just a sidenote, but all cories are pretty hyper fish and need a pretty large tank footprint. I personally wouldn't choose those for my ten gallon. Again, that's just me.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

I wouldn't put a Cory in a ten gallon anyway, they need a bigger tank right?

George9 said:
I wouldn't put a Cory in a ten gallon anyway, they need a bigger tank right?

Yes, they may be small, some varieties, but they are very active and need swimming room. I have some in my twenty nine gallon. They're very fun to watch.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

Endler's livebears are really colorful. Guppies are good. Glo-fish (genetically modified zebra danios) are widely available and bright red, orange, or green. If they interbreed, you can have multicolored danios.

Currently, I have 6 golden white clouds in a 10 gallon. They're a yellowish/orangish/flesh color and really pop.

As others have said, a small school of neons or a dwarf gourami or a betta would be comfortable in a 10 gallon.

You can also add a few shrimp, which can be fun to watch.

Are shrimp aggresive?

pygmy cories would be fine in a 10g tank. I wouldn't put any of the larger cories in, but there are a few smaller varieties that would work fine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom