Good fish for a 20 long in a special education classroom?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not sure. My 50 gallon (actually 48, but whatever) is like the size of a 40 breeder. I don't know if that's what it was originally sold as as I bought it secondhand, however.

Aquavic said:
Convicts can actually be housed in a 20 gal long which is the bare minimum requirement. Not recommended but you can get away with it

Sure anything "can" be housed in a 20 long as they are small. But "should" they be kept in a 20 long. Definitly not.

mikeISright said:
Sure anything "can" be housed in a 20 long as they are small. But "should" they be kept in a 20 long. Definitly not.

Why do you say that? Just curious..

I had a convict cichlid in a 29gallon and that is the bare minimum i would go unless you want to jam one in. Think about you are putting a 6 inch fish that needs to claim a territory in a 30x12x12 box. That mean it can only swim forward one body length and has very limited space to swim across the tank. Its just to small for a convict.

mikeISright said:
I had a convict cichlid in a 29gallon and that is the bare minimum i would go unless you want to jam one in. Think about you are putting a 6 inch fish that needs to claim a territory in a 30x12x12 box. That mean it can only swim forward one body length and has very limited space to swim across the tank. Its just to small for a convict.

My mistake I thought convicts didn't grow beyond 4

I think that sounds good! Does anyone if a few Otos would work too???

I personally love otos but I think that they are needed. Plus I'm not sure if the neons are in the "budget" (well, bio-load budget)

heyheyitsrae said:
So what about 6 Von rio tetras, 8 neons/cardinals, a pearl gourami (male or female?) and 6 corys?

I think that's really pushing it for a 20 gallon. I'd probably go for the pearl, 8 Von Rio OR 10 neon/cardinal, and 6 Cory of a smaller species like panda. JMHO. Pearls get larger than a lot of people realize.

Checked in on the aquarium today. The water was really warm! Took out the shrimp, threw up a little at the stench, about 10% PWC, set up a whisper 10 internal filter, new filter cartridge on the first one I set up, added a few fake plants and an anubias on lava rock, netted out some little chunks of shrimp, and tested the water.

Attachments

• image-3188084917.jpg
    image-3188084917.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 50
  • image-1638358629.jpg
    image-1638358629.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 53
Back
Top Bottom