Good fish for a 20 long in a special education classroom?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
heyheyitsrae said:
I remember the people who sold it to me said it actually held 25 gallons....

That makes a little more sense. Is there anything you've decided on?

Ehhh, that's really personal preference. You could try without, then if you want you could get some and see how you like it.

Looks like a standard 20 long to me. I'm a little concerned about the stand it's on- are the corners of the tank hanging off of the stand?

One pearl gourami
4 or 5 black kuhlii loaches
8 black harlequin rasporas

Maybe some guppies as well?

Looks fine, I would skip the guppies though. A few platies would work in place of the rasboras (for future reference, it's rasBora) if he would prefer those. The students might prefer cory cats to kuhlis, because kuhlis tend to hide a lot more.

severum mama said:
Looks fine, I would skip the guppies though. A few platies would work in place of the rasboras (for future reference, it's rasBora) if he would prefer those. The students might prefer cory cats to kuhlis, because kuhlis tend to hide a lot more.

I agree with all of that. I almost never saw my kuhlis when I had them. Mickey Mouse platies might be a big hit.

Most people don't really mention mollies but they can be quit active and colorful. Along with some neon tetras and maybe 1-2 angel fish.

I think the Gouramis would be cool.
A Gourami, some Cories, and Bristlenose Pleco would be cool. Maybe some fast tetras too.

Im afraid to mess with angels, especially since I won't be able to observe them at all except once or twice a week. I think ill try to sell him on the pearl gourami, school of cories, pleco, and a school of tetras (not sure what species). Advice on how and when to add them? Like in what order?

Going back to the shark idea for a bit. What about a school of zebra danios? Fast, tons of attitude and somewhat shark like.

Attachments

• image-2364492663.jpg
    image-2364492663.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 45
Also along the shines of shark like fish. Barbs are great. Odessa Barbs even more so. A male Odessa Barb has probably THE brightest red of all freshwater fish. A group of 1 male and 3-4 females would do great. Although this would mean no Pearl Gourami (no room for both sadly).

Well I would add fish slowly like add the tetras wait 3 days, then add the Cories and wait another 3 days. Don't add them all at once. Good luck

Tetra1990 said:
Going back to the shark idea for a bit. What about a school of zebra danios? Fast, tons of attitude and somewhat shark like.

If my zebra danios looked like that I would think they are awesome. Mine are a dull gray.

Pleco- I'd skip.

Angelfish- not in a 20 long IMO.

Adding fish- wait longer than 3 days before new additions IMO. Let the test kit dictate that. A general statement like add a few fish every 3 days is not a good idea generally when you are trying to establish a new tank.

You want to start with smaller fish and work your way up, so do like vanimal said. Do 3 or 4 of the Tetras/Barbs, then after several days finish the school with the other 3 or 4. Then add the Corys the same way. Pearl Gourami comes last since he has the highest bioload. Keep an eye on Ammonia and Nitrates as you move along. Should go fairly smoothly with filter media seed.

I would say a Pleco would be pushing it over the edge, they poop A LOT.

heyheyitsrae said:
I thought bristlenose were slightly better on the pooping?

It's the matter of the total fish in there. Plus (at least in my experience) Bristlenose Plecos aren't really that interesting. Mine have always hid in the word unless it's feeding time...

Also I just got back from adding some raw shrimp to the aquarium. We're going out of town for a couple of days and I don't want my seeded media to die off and have wasted the effort. Hopefully I'll have decided on what school I want with the gourami. Are there any barbs I could do with it? My petco has gold barbs (lemon barbs? Not sure) in stock almost all of the time. I think he'd like those.

Predfan27 said:
It's the matter of the total fish in there. Plus (at least in my experience) Bristlenose Plecos aren't really that interesting. Mine have always hid in the word unless it's feeding time...

I already have the pleco I'd put in there. He's pretty tiny right now, so he's in my 10 gallon to grow out some. I was gonna put him in my 50 gallon once he grows a bit but I think he'd be a better fit in my dad's tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom