good food for molly's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ram897

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am coming to you all because I just can't listen to anything the lfs tells me. ;-)
I bought aquaon tropical flakes for my black molly's when I got them and it seems they don't like certain "colors" of the food. I am the type who likes to feed high quality to all my animals but know nothing about quality of fish food. I have seen hakari on Amazon. Anyone know anything about it and should I be feeding pellets or wafers? I know there are brands like tetra but this label is so widespread it kinda reminds me of purina and my husband did some electrical work on a purina plant...... Just sayin'...

I have mollies and they feed really well on nutrafin max flakes, they can't get enough of them. I do mix it with dried bloodworms every other day for a balanced diet though. Bloodworms can cause indigestion problems though so don't feed too many. That's what works for me anyway ;)

I feed Omega One to all my fish, including my mollies who are healthy and doing well on it... I use Omega One Tropical Flakes and Omega One Veggie Flakes (once a wk)...

How many times a day do you feed molly's? I have seen 2 and 3 x's. Mine act like they are starving every time we go near the tank.

Fish generally do that anyway, they will eat what you give them usually. Over feeding can kill them though. I feed twice a day. More than that will cause more waste which equates to more ammonia.

Ram897 said:
How many times a day do you feed molly's? I have seen 2 and 3 x's. Mine act like they are starving every time we go near the tank.

I feed one time every other day for adults and for newborn fry every 4 hrs... As they grow I feed twice a day up to 1.5-2"

Whoa. Every other day? I guess I have a lot to learn about fish. Why so infrequently?

Ram897 said:
Whoa. Every other day? I guess I have a lot to learn about fish. Why so infrequently?

It cuts down on waste and makes for a healthier tank.
Less food= less waste = healthier water parameters...

My fish are thriving on every other day, eat well, have good weight/color/appearance and reproduce quite well :)
Believe me when I say I didn't know any of this before I found this forum... I had a majorly overstocked tank and fed twice a day... Fish died then..

When I fed my Betta earlier bottle directions tell me to feed 3 times daily as much as my fish will consume in 3 mins... considering my Betta is s pig, as most others are, he could eat a pellet every 3 seconds... WOW!
I feed my Betta 4 pellets once every other day. I think manufactures do it for the business.. Just as they also tell you to replace your filter every 30 days!
:) good luck with your tank

Back
Top Bottom