Good starter tank size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Logan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've never had an aquarium before. I was wondering what size tank is good for a beginner? I was thinking of maybe a 29 gallon tank. I'm thinking of getting peaceful community fish. Would bigger tanks like 55 gal, 75 gal be too big for a beginner.

they say the bigger the tank the easier it is to look after. The bigger you go the larger water changes but, larger fish selection as well. Most people if not all here on AA will always say bigger is better! i'd go for the 55 or 75.

I'd try a 10 gallon for a while just to make sure you like it and then go up to a 50. I've had a 10 gallon since December and just bought a 50 today : )

My first is a 75g, I am 2 months into. The tank maintence itself is no prob, as long as you keep the fish healthy. Beware though it can get expensive. 8)

For a beginner I would say if you don't mind investing the money a 55gallon tank would be easier to be successful with than a 10 gallon tank. There would be a bit more work but you would have a greater chance for your fish to survive.

A 29 gallon tank is also a great beginner size tank. I think it is a good compromise between size (for variety of fish and being successful at keeping them alive) and cost to keep it running.

A 10 gallon tank does give you some benefits as well: Once you are ready to buy a 55Gallon (or larger) tank you have a QT available! Other than as a QT 10 gallon tanks do limit you on the types and number of fish you can have though.

I don't think a 55G or 75G tank would be to big for a beginner. The bigger the tank the easier it is to maintain water parameters. However the bigger the tank the more expense you will have in setting it up & maintaining it. So I think starting off with a 29G or even a 20G tank would be a good starting point between a smaller tank & a larger tank.

Bigger tanks mean bigger equipment...which means bigger bucks...

I don't think any size FW is too big for a beginner myself.

My guess is that a 29 gallon would be best, because it has the advantage of being the most affordable option. The 10g is cheaper, but it is also much, much smaller. The 50/55 will be so expensive that it may actually push you away from the hobby.
From a beginner to another: go with the middle of the road and you can't go wrong.
Unless you have a huge pocket, then I would suggest going for the 150g :p Ehehe...

There are other options too! You wouldn't need to go 29,55,75. Those are the most popular sizes, but you can usually have a LFS order in different sizes too. My LFS had a 29 gallon in stock, but I special ordered a 38. I got the tank, stand, and hood for $239.

I chose the middle of the road. I wanted to start bigger, but the price of the 55 gallon was prohibitive. The 38 gallon was just about perfect for my price range.

If you want lots of fish, different colors and shapes, get the biggest tank you can! :)

Paul

Go for as big as your wallet will allow!! You'll thank yourself later!

Unless you want to keep fish that are not community minded...then you may just go for something big enough for them and a coupla bottom feeders....

A 5-10 gallon Qt is no problem and can be purchased any time(and need not be a tank, simply non pourous plastic rubbermaid tub that you can medicate in)

Thanks to everyone who responded. I think I'll go with the 29 gal or maybe a 38 gal like pkremer suggested. The 55 gal or bigger I think will probably be too expensive for me. I'll have to look around the lfs's and see which one has the better prices. Thanks again for the advice.

You can get a 55gal starter kit at Wal-Mart for $158 has everything but the stand.
They have a stand too but cant remember the $.

Not the top of the line equipment in this kit but not bad to start with.
I got a 29gal starter kit there and it worked out great.
JMO

Heres a list of tank sizes and dimensions. A good sizes for a beginner would be 25(What I started with), a 29, or a 33. The large water changes on the big tanks can be a pain if you dont have a python.

I would go for a 29 gallon. This is a great size for 90% of the fish out there. It is also big enough that with regular water changes, it can be very stable. For a beginner, I would not go bigger. It simply gets to expensive, and to overwhealming to quickly. Plus, beginners often loose quite a bit of fish at first, and a 55 gallon can become difficult and expensive for a beginner to keep properly stocked.

Also, the aquarium bug doesn't bite everyone. if 2 months down the line you are bored of the hobby, at least you didnt put to much money into it.

I'd go with a 55....
lets you go slow @ first then grow to bigger and better later with corals etc... just need to upgrade lights....

And I reccomend you get your filter and heater online, it is usually 20-50% cheaper than in retail stores. But you'll have you buy the actual tank, canopy, etc. at the lfs.
Heres what I reccomend for a 29g at bigalsonline.com :
Penguin 330 power filter - $21
Visitherm 150w heater - $14
Shipping $6
Total before taxes - $36

Thats probably cheaper than the filter alone at your lfs

id get the

emperor 280 29.99 (bigals)

and the tetra whisper heater 15-30 (20-25$ forgot) submersible (walmart)

had the whisper for like 8 months now and no problems.

you can go with whatever heater but whisper is the only heater ive ever used and will use until something goes wrong. and it doesnt look as cheapy as some others. its the suction cup instead of hanging on side. im sure some others are like that.

but i personally would pay 10.00 more and get the emperor. i forgot how much it has there was a paper thingy about it saying why emperor's better.

has more media space. has 2 pumps. bio-wheel's runned by a spray bar. and takes up less space (im sure)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom