got my 24g Nano Cube set up...Finally!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gamefreak0109

Aquarium Advice Activist
After looking at an empty 24g nano-cube sitting in my room for the past coupe years, i finally got it up and running again. just picked up a couple lbs of live rock, live sand and water yesterday and got it set up last night. Tell me what you think. These pics are obviously day one and crappy phone pics...
img_1111557_0_6fe64adbc019c3faa93e888c491e7d0a.jpg

img_1111557_1_5569c558c47122bf5d3a6f43d7058739.jpg

img_1111557_2_12306b6c56dcdb9a9e20de24e3e8b209.jpg

img_1111557_3_26cdf4a8429d7bdc6c0debc9c931ba5b.jpg

img_1111557_4_59f4eca771ea91a695dd4b165e5fc0e3.jpg

I got some yellow sponge on one small piece of LR, and a small Kenya Tree frag. and a few more things im not sure of yet. and a hermit crap and snail hitch a ride too.

Feel free to tell me what ya think

Well I didt wanna put him in the same day, I let it filter for a couple days. He went into my friends tank the next morning after he set up his aquarium, he was getting rid of him and I read that they are pretty hardy and good for new aquariums. So I'm gonna let him be in there for a month or so untill I add anything else. I guess we will see.

Update

after the tank cycled, i added some fish and coral.

i added a clown fish and a purple firefish to keep the domino damsel company. they get alot great, i was expecting to domino to be aggressive, so i had plans on taking it out and giving it away, but since they are getting along, ill hold onto it for a little longer unless it gets aggressive. I love the purple firefish but he seems very shy.

as far as coral, i have the kenya tree, and i added some palm polyps, yellow polyps and purple xenya.. i dont have a thing for the purple stuff, i just love xenya and a buddy had purple available for very cheap. i got the palm and yellow polyp and the xenya frags all for $10.. cant beat that.

anyways, i cant wait for it to get where i want. it will be there eventually. here are some pics i took, again crappy phone pics.

img_1119248_0_de1577faeb3ad30dbfcc91f0791a9f62.jpg

img_1119248_1_7593eabdec5f4e503445c7ab48970802.jpg

img_1119248_2_2186f49126915e6dc65529d187608e18.jpg

img_1119248_3_d09c59f00f759ef1b64b125198576b31.jpg

and i couldnt get the firefish out for a picture. so here is a pic of him when i got him.
img_1119248_4_2951eba0e64e9489b3c55f3b53366deb.jpg

Yea I did. I waited till the amonia droped back down and everything else is perfect as well. It took almost 3 weeks.

I would continue to test regularly to keep an eye on the ammonia. Fish aided cycles will often show a cycle effect, but have a very small buffer zone due to the small ammonia source. Did you add any addition source, like feeding extra food or something?

You should be alright, just be careful not to add livestock too quickly so that the tank can catch up to the new amounts of waste production.

Yea, the dy I set it up, no fish or like a week, I added a decent amount of food every day. And I continued to add extra food every day. I'm just recently adding the smaller amount that is needed for the fish to eat, I thought about adding a raw shrimp as well but never got around to doing that. I tested the water yesterday and everything was still good. Thanks or the advice. I'm not gonna add anything else for probably another 3 weeks.

Good plan. I like your rockwork. You may want to get some of that pink or green putty stuff to glue that top piece down. It might just be the pictures but it looks fairly precariously perched. Keep up the good work and the vigilant testing.

I was actually wondering about that stuff. I went to my LFS today to get some water for my PWC and I've always seen it but never thought anything of that stuff but I wanna get it for my frags. They are just sitting in places and I've had to fix them because a snail moves them around

Good job. Looks very nice. Watchout for an ammonia spike because of the sudden bio-load increase from the three fish. Just do some 40-50% water changes and it will come down and the bacteria will catch up soon.

I just finished a 25% waterchange. I shoulda done more but I did all I could with the ammount of sw I had avaiable. I don't have anything to mix myself so I buy it from my LFS for now. But I'll know I need more next time to do a 40-50% change.

Hahaha I was wondering if anyone else was gonnna gonna catch that. I was too lazy to fix it.

And btw, I just picked up a small piece of
LR with 5 mushrooms on it, I paid $5.00 for it, it's like half the size of the rock that the torch coral came on it, :)

so now i have xenia, torch coral, yellow polyps, palm polyps, some kinda mushrooms, kenya trees, yellow sponge ( bairly any of this left) and there is some new stuff growing on the LR, its too small to know what it is yet, but ill be sure to find out once it gets big enough. and for fish, i have the purple firefish, one clown, domino damsel, and BEFORE ANYONE YELLS AT ME, just be aware that i have a 100g tank that im gonna set up, i just have to get it up and running. that being said. I just picked up a yellow tang, its small, so FOR NOW its in this tank. but will be moved to the 100g asap. anywho, i also have a sand sifting star, and then a handfull or hermit crabs and snails. im happy with how the tank has turned out, cant wait to see what surprises it brings me later.

9 months after setting up the aquarium. things are going great. ive had alot change since the last update. you can see everything in the video. I honestly cant remember all that ive added. The domino is gone, now i have 2 clowns, 1 firefish, a fireshrimp, sand sifting star, various hermits and snails, an urchin, and a peppermint shrimp. and a variety or coral. the video isnt the best quality, but shows ya the basic idea of what it looks like today.

YouTube - My 24g Nano Cube 9 Months Old

oh, and sorry for the dirty glass. after i made the video i cleaned it and didnt want to remake the video. (it takes too long to process it)

Video is recorded, edited and produced on my iPhone

Back
Top Bottom