Gr!! Snail problems!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishCrazyBenBOMB

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok well i'm trying to get rid of my snails and they won't go away.

I keep squishing (however you spell it) every egg nest I find and they still pop up.

I take them out manually and they still pop up.

I tried the lettus trick and that didn't work.

Any suggestions? And I can't get assassin snails cuz I can't find any plus I don't order from ebay.

Help!!

I just decrease the amount of food available to keep my snails in check. As long as my goldies get most of the food, the snails will have to live off algae & I never have more than a dozen or so visible in my tank.

Well it's a planted tank and I always have algae, well they did a great job cleaning the walls but dont want them, I also have 2 1in. cichlids in there so I have to put food in there.

Get a loach. My YoYo is amazing at removing snails its kinda funny to watch.

Well it's in a 5 gallon and there is not much room, that loach would have to be 1in or up to 2 in at the biggest to fit in there. If I could find a small loach that would be diff but yet loaches normally get sold at a larger size.

True your are right ben, so no loach looks like you are picking out snails by hand. The lettuce trick works but not the best. Try buying some sinking algae pellets. instead of the lettuce put half of one in the tank before lights out and then in the morning you should have a pile of snails to remove... Just another somwhat simmalar suggestion to you current efforts...

You could try fighting snails with other snails! One of the members of my local killifish club brought in some predatory snails for auction a couple of times. Apparently these feed exclusively on other snails - once they've killed them all off, they run out of food and die too. I did a quick search on the web to see if I could find what species they might have been, but didn't find anything promising. I'll keep looking (if you are interested in this as a solution).

Tony

I purchased a red claw shrimp not too long ago, he did a number on a few of my snails, and rumor has it they are pretty good algae eaters too. Can be a touch aggressive, but cool to watch. It depends what else is in the tank.

Well yeah there is a predatory snail called an assassin snail, if you read above we did discuss this and I can't find those anywhere besides ebay and I don't order from them.

I purchased a red claw shrimp not too long ago, he did a number on a few of my snails, and rumor has it they are pretty good algae eaters too. Can be a touch aggressive, but cool to watch. It depends what else is in the tank.

Problem with that is that it's a 5 gallon tank and I have 2 cichlids that would stay were the shrimp would be, the cichlids are only 1in long and that red claw would most likely eat them.

I dont know how predatory they are, they are 'opportunistic' from what I remember. If I wasnt going to have cherry shrimps, and amano's I would have kept him. I did enjoy watching it eat snails, very methodical.

Can bristlenose protect their eggs from loaches? And are you talking about kulli loaches or just any loach?

Back
Top Bottom