Graham's 5.5g planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds promising.. I'm gonna do a little research on how to set up the citric acid method but I'm sure I'll have questions soon

Sent from my SM-G925V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

One thing I wished I hadn't cheaped out on is the needle valve, being that it's the only mechanical part I should have gone with something that isn't so touchy. I went with a $8 needle valve from Home Depot, it works, but it's a test in patience to get it at the right bubble count. Also, imo, a bubble counter is necessary. I'll have the output tubing of the co2 jammed in the filter intake and I'm constantly checking if it's working. This gets rough when you have 4 DIY co2 generators running.

Cha boi Jessie.

So I'm still deciding on which co2 route to go but I'm leaning towards the sugar/yeast route just cuz it seems to be easier. Just thinking once I get the hang of that since it's so cheap I'll give the citric acid route a try. The monte carlo seems to be doing alright tho without it. No dying leaves and it looks like it's starting to get some nice roots and dare I say some runners starting to slightly spread. Regardless I'm gonna give the co2 a go to get a nice carpet but it looks like the monte carlo may be a viable carpet plant option for those without co2. May just take a lot of patience.

Few pics of my 2 male CPDs
1441426162110.jpg
1441426178491.jpg
1441426200327.jpg

Sparring CPDs are cool to watch. I see that even with the juveniles. IMO it's more show as I have not seen bullying as a result (lots of hiding places helps).
Do the yeast based DIY CO2. Pretty inexpensive and effective. You should see some positive effects in the upcoming weeks on your plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Nice pics of the CPDs! What other stock do you have in the tank?

I scrolled way back and found this (from last month). Nice mix.
Things have really settled in well. For not having CO2 the plants have grown nicely and needed a couple trimmings as well.

Current (most likely final) stock list:
4 galaxy rasboras
4 ember tetras
3 pygmy Cory
2 otos
1 cobalt sumatran goby
Some cherry shrimp.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I scrolled way back and found this (from last month). Nice mix.

Thanks...I have a nasty cold and was too lazy to go thru the entire thread :hide:

Still haven't kept embers and have always been interested in the gobies....

Thanks...I have a nasty cold and was too lazy to go thru the entire thread :hide:

Still haven't kept embers and have always been interested in the gobies....

The embers are pretty nice although they're a tad bigger than I'd like. Definitely a nice outgoing nano fish tho. The goby is awesome. He's not always in the open but when he is he's super active.. really good biofilm/algae eater on rocks and leaves it seems.

I can't get over your tree. That thing is awesome!

Caleb

It's a couple paces of spider wood glued together. Unfortunately I tore it down. I was very impatient and tied down the moss with rubber bands. The moss grew onto the bands so when I removed them it made a mess and the moss became a detritus heaven which led to unreal hair algae.
No worries though.. I'll be grabbing some cotton string or fishing line to tie some Christmas moss down this time so trimming is much easier.

The embers are pretty nice although they're a tad bigger than I'd like. Definitely a nice outgoing nano fish tho. The goby is awesome. He's not always in the open but when he is he's super active.. really good biofilm/algae eater on rocks and leaves it seems.

Would love to see a pic of the goby (y)

1441753228332.jpg
1441753252424.jpg

Love how he perches on the rocks and wood. He definitely has some personality. Almost like he watches you like a puffer would

Love how he perches on the rocks and wood. He definitely has some personality. Almost like he watches you like a puffer would

Awesome, great pics! Are there any issues between him and the other bottom feeders? Easy to care for in general? I've been tempted for quite a while but so many things I read talk about a well established tank with high filtration, etc. Guess I just want to make sure I have everything covered in case I do get one.

Awesome, great pics! Are there any issues between him and the other bottom feeders? Easy to care for in general? I've been tempted for quite a while but so many things I read talk about a well established tank with high filtration, etc. Guess I just want to make sure I have everything covered in case I do get one.

Hmm.. I haven't had any problems with him at all. I'm guessing the well established tank aspect is for some biofilm and algae to start growing. Now that you mention it I don't really remember ever seeing him eat prepared foods but I could easily just have overlooked it. He just constantly munches on whatever growth there is on the rocks and leaves and does a pretty good job.

So I finally trimmed down the monte carlo as I read it's best to let it root a bit first before trimming. Once I did this I notice runners with very nice lush leaves growing basically beneath the substrate. I'm happy to see the plant is spreading but was just curious if others have seen this before too. Kinda looks like the leaves under the substrate getting very little light are doing better than ones above.. anyway here's a close up. Ignore the algae I haven't gotten to..
1442363087706.jpg

Wow! Looks awesome! Monte carlo looks good, you may have inspired me :brows: Goby looks cool too, never had the guts to get one lol

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So what are your thoughts on the monte carlo? I love it. Think it could be done in high lighting with DIY Co2? How's it working out for you? I don't mean to hijack, just asking :)

Liking the monte carlo a lot.. it's growing in my tank under medium light I'd say without CO2 so I'd think it would go pretty crazy with some CO2. Definitely a plant to check out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom