Gravel Cleaning Question - Small Tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have you considered using a little pump to get the water started. I use a small bulb, like the ones used for clearing a babies nose. They are cheap and get the job done!

This is a good suggestion. However, I have been able to use a simple tube of suitable length filled with water to siphon. It has worked out very well over the past few weeks.

Vijay

Not sure if you are referring to a special small gravel vacuum but I have whipped out the Kodak DC125 for a picture of a gravel vacuum.
Also if the water tastes funny, it could do with a change LOL

gravel-hoover.jpg

Yep that is the thing I use to clean my gravel too. I have it down to a science now. I can get it started on the first try now. Used to get so aggrivated with it but now I know to get the cylender full of water and hold it up to run out of it and when it just starts to make a sucking noise I stick it back in the water and walla....its doing its job!

My 2G is a planted tank. It has a lot of plants in it and looks really wonderful. Hence, I don't gravel
vacum the floor. Just water changes are OK.

Vijay :D

An idea that may work is to make one by buying a small plastic bottle and plastic tubing that fit the bottle where the lid is....{maybe cut hole in the lid}.... it has to be small enough to fit a small tank...and work.

...or you could buy a baster with a bulb or as someone else helpful stated ...a baby bulb thingy...to jump start the water by squeezing bulb...insert end of baster in tube or just the bulb even...

:) Kate

Hey, that's the same vac I have, works great. Just put the tube in the water, shake up and down VIGOROUSLY a coupla times, and the siphon starts. Just make sure the flapper valve at the top moves freely.

Got a mouth full of water???? Been there - done that - Never again

Try using a turkey baster to get the siphoning starter. Insert it into the end of the tube with the blub depressed and then let it out.

gjscad

Back
Top Bottom