Gravel to sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlidslover

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I know that when I change the substrate from gravel to sand, there'll be a mini cycle at least since the gravel host a lost of beneficial bacteria. However, can I drain the whole tank tank(storing some water in buckets), put in the sand/cichlid stones, add dechlorinated water and old water, add fish...then put gravel in a breeder net so it'll assist with the cycling?

Would this work? If I changed all the water and put gravel in breeder nets to assist the cycling along with two HOBs packed with beneficial bacteria, would it work?

When i changed my gravel to sand, i pot my fish in right away without having any off the old gravel in the taboo at all. I had no problems with my fish our anything. Someone else may have a different opinion,but that is just what i did.

Sent from my LG-D959 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I switched to sand a few months ago and I didn't bother removing the fish. Do a water change and clean the gravel really well and then use a net to scoop it all out. You can use PVC pipe to put the sand in the bottom so the mess is minimal. I never noticed a mini cycle and my fish were completely fine.

I did that the mini cycle killed my crayfish and kuli loaches. All my cichlids were fine.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So I can just take out the gravel and put in clean sand. I am over filtering the tank and it's fully established so???

Yes, I've done that and it worked out well. Just keep your filter media intact. I float mine in the bucket with the fish to keep the bacteria alive. If you have an established biofilter, that's where most of your beneficial bacteria will be, not in the gravel. Just take care to keep it moist. I've switched over all 3 of my tanks this way, and have not had any mini cycles occur.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So I save a bucket of water with fish and filter media in it. Drain tank including gravel. Pop in washed sand, add dechlorinated water, add filter media. Turn filter on, add fish and rest of old water?

You might need some more buckets depending on the tank size. If not put fish in one bucket and leave most of the water in the tank and put decorations on a towel.

But why would I need to leave the water in the tank as others here have said I would be fine doing a complete gravel and water change 195%

I may be misunderstanding what you are saying. Do you want to remove all water as in 100% water change or do you want to keep some old tank water?

Ok got it lol. I would put the fish in one bucket and remove all the rest of the water since your not keeping the water you can use anything to hold the old water

do you know any cichlids that LOVE caves and are fairly cheap and common?

I didn't even take my fish out when I went from gravel to sand. I scooped the gravel out into a bucket. And then picked out the little bits. I cleaned the sand really really well in a bucket, and then I used the bottle method to put the sand in. Cycle didn't miss a beat
http://youtu.be/d-XB0bwtZh8

Back
Top Bottom