gravel vs. sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GlubGlub

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm just curious, are there any fish for which or particular circumstances other than personal aesthetics where gravel is preferable?

There is two reasons I can think of for choosing sand over gravel off the top of my head. (other than looks) One is to prevent bottom feeders soft bellies and sensitive barbells from getting damaged and the other reason would be to make vacuuming easier, poop and food just kind of sits on top of sand where it falls in between gravel. Hope that answered your question.

Well, some people seem to have problems with sand getting kicked up and clogging their filter so they choose gravel, but personally I think as long as your intake tube isn't to close to the bottom and you unplug your filter if you know you will be stirring up the sand then you should have no problem.

I agree I'm not sure I know of any times that a fish would want gravel.

I recently switched to sand and i personally like it a lot better!!!
Even my frogs come out more now. ☺️

Gravel that is made for planted tanks is better than sand for planted tanks

Gravel is easier to maintain long term, using a gravel vac/syphon it is much easier to clean than sand, it stays in the tank too! Oh and it doesn't mess up the filter either.

Virtually all of my tanks have been mixed grade set ups over the years, no real problems either way. I will say though, sand disappears over time and needs replenishing, gravel on the other hand can be re-used until you decide to change it, with considerably less accidental/incidental loss over the same time frame.

Some fish have developed habits such as feeding or breeding where sand or silt is used naturally. Replicating this in captivity is good practice on the part of the fish keeper. The same goes for rocks/stone/gravel and wood.

Most ailments that develop in fish are a result of dirty substrate, maintenance by the fish keeper rarely comes into question by said fish keeper who normally finds an alternative cause than themselves, "must be the gravel" etc. (includes barbel erosion, underside skin lesion, fungal infection etc. etc.)

I think gravel is better in heavily planted tanks 1 to 3mm diameter.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Gravel that is made for planted tanks is better than sand for planted tanks

I heartily disagree with those statements. I have sand in my heavily heavily heavily planted high tech tank and it is working amazingly well. I tried flourite in my 10g high tech planted and absolutely hated it with a passion.

Sand imho is much better for planted tanks solely for the reason that plants take root much easier in sand than they will in any type of gravel. When I used both the flourite recently and small grain gravel I had when I started keeping fish it was a constant battle trying to get plants to stay down. That all disappeared when I switched to sand.

Gravel is easier to maintain long term, using a gravel vac/syphon it is much easier to clean than sand, it stays in the tank too! Oh and it doesn't mess up the filter either.

Virtually all of my tanks have been mixed grade set ups over the years, no real problems either way. I will say though, sand disappears over time and needs replenishing, gravel on the other hand can be re-used until you decide to change it, with considerably less accidental/incidental loss over the same time frame.

Some fish have developed habits such as feeding or breeding where sand or silt is used naturally. Replicating this in captivity is good practice on the part of the fish keeper. The same goes for rocks/stone/gravel and wood.

Most ailments that develop in fish are a result of dirty substrate, maintenance by the fish keeper rarely comes into question by said fish keeper who normally finds an alternative cause than themselves, "must be the gravel" etc. (includes barbel erosion, underside skin lesion, fungal infection etc. etc.)

The primary reason that people choose sand over gravel is that sand is much much easier to clean. It will never trap debris like gravel will which can and generally will cause issues with nitrates in a tank.

All you need to do to clean sand is to hover the gravel siphon an inch or so above the substrate and allow the debris to get sucked up naturally. As for damaging / clogging filters, the intake should never be anywhere near close enough to the substrate to cause that sort of issue. As a matter of fact, if you have a tank with enough flow you can get away without ever cleaning your sand. I went 6 months on an overstocked cichlid tank without ever siphoning the substrate and it was always sparkling clean.

Meanwhile, when you have gravel you will have to thoroughly and aggressively siphon the gunk and poo thqt settles inside it.

I heartily disagree with those statements. I have sand in my heavily heavily heavily planted high tech tank and it is working amazingly well. I tried flourite in my 10g high tech planted and absolutely hated it with a passion.

Sand imho is much better for planted tanks solely for the reason that plants take root much easier in sand than they will in any type of gravel. When I used both the flourite recently and small grain gravel I had when I started keeping fish it was a constant battle trying to get plants to stay down. That all disappeared when I switched to sand.

The primary reason that people choose sand over gravel is that sand is much much easier to clean. It will never trap debris like gravel will which can and generally will cause issues with nitrates in a tank.

All you need to do to clean sand is to hover the gravel siphon an inch or so above the substrate and allow the debris to get sucked up naturally. As for damaging / clogging filters, the intake should never be anywhere near close enough to the substrate to cause that sort of issue. As a matter of fact, if you have a tank with enough flow you can get away without ever cleaning your sand. I went 6 months on an overstocked cichlid tank without ever siphoning the substrate and it was always sparkling clean.

Meanwhile, when you have gravel you will have to thoroughly and aggressively siphon the gunk and poo thqt settles inside it.

My two giant plecs disturbed the sand more than I ever could, speaking from experience, that's all. Even my BN will shoot an amount of sand as she moves and by comparison she is tiny, the same goes for the clown loach and even the corydoras. The clowns are quite content rearranging things as they go on the quest for food.
I'm fairly used to cleaning my tanks and appreciate your statement, it's about the only way to clean sand "in tank".
The gunk that falls between the gravel has some uses, plant fertilizer, though this can be cleaned it's good for the roots etc. sites under wood/rock will be the only places that present any real long term problems that can't be solved with regular vac/syphon action, I wouldn't use aggression on any approach to any problem concerning a fish tank I save that for a more suitable situation (work/play).

Gentle care I think is probably best.

The primary reason I choose sand, it is correct for the fish concerned. People say filter wool/floss is a nitrate trap, I've used that for ever, no problems, same situation here, maintenance on the part of the fish keeper will prevent problems occurring.

I've had planted tanks with just coarse decorative grade gravel, no problems. If it's deep enough the plants will easily take hold. I will say that removing plants from such a set up is far easier (less damaging to the root system) during overhaul.

Sand is the way to go i think too. But in my case i mix a little gravel in with the sand and i lay some gravel over the top of the sand. That way, the sand holds its form when i do a WC and when i pour water back in (yaya my python broke and i broke my sink as well okay! okay!) lol when i pour it back in it dosent spash the sand as much and also the small amout of gravel on top allows the leftover food/poop to be trapped rather than constantly stirred up by my guppies and goldfish tanks. Corys seem to like it too.

How about the whole gas pocket thing with sand. Is that really a problem? Anyone ever had fish injured as a result? If it is, how do you stir a planted sand tank without snails?

To be honest, I currently have both sand tanks and gravel tanks. They are all planted. I don't actually like the gravel very much at all, and I will probably try to stick with gravel in the future. I don't think your average fish care too much about the substrate, after in all, in the wild the substrate is far less uniform than anything I put into my tanks.
I am a little paranoid about gas pockets in my sand as well. I have not personally had a problem with it, but I have certainly known a few people who have stirred up some smelliness from the depths of their sand bed on occasion and lost a few fish. I don't have snails, and I just stir the sand around a little with the handle end of my net. I may get some kuhlis or snails that will turn the sand up a bit, because my cories don't.

I honestly dont stir it or it reeks! So i got a few corie fish to help keep it clean and stir it up a bit.

Back
Top Bottom