Green hair algae problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brad.s1989

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys,
I am new to the marine world, I have purchased a river reef 94l aquarium, which has now been set up for 3months.
Everything seemed to be going well until recently, when a green hair-like algae has appeared on the live rock, and in areas on the tank.
I feed the tank once daily, with frozen brine shrimp.
The integrated lighting has settings of day and night, the lights are left on throughout the day, and a blue uv light for the evenings.
I do weekly 20% water changes, and the tank currently only contains a cleaner shrimp, a royal grammar and a blue sponge coral. (along with 9kg of live rock).

Does anybody have any advice on what I can do to tackle the problem?

Thanks!

right off the bat I'd say your lights are on to long also you could try cutting down on the feedings to every other day

Thanks for the advice, how long do u recommend I should put the lights on for? Also how would you go about removing the algae from the rocks?

What kind of light is this? By blue UV light, do you mean actinic lights, or a blue led moonlight? If it's the blue actinic lighting, that needs to stay off at night. Lights should be on for 7-8 hours a day. Also, tone down your feedings to every other day or every three days.

I'd say 8 to 10 should be plenty. As for the rock you could try suctioning it off when you do water changes or if its not a pain I use to mix a bucket of saltwater and scrub them off with a brush in the water

It's the blue led lights. I'll try leaving the lights off a few hours a day and see what happens.

I'll give it a go next time I do the water change, but I may have to hand scrub each of them.

Thanks for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom