Green spot algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Friendly

Aquarium Advice Freak
My 5g has almost been completely over run by green spot algae :(. I do manage to scrap some it off, but there's hard to reach places that I just can't get to. I was wondering if there is a type of algae eater that eats green spot algae. I got amano shrimps in there but they barely take any of it off.

Not even a SAE, or perhaps a small pleco? I would obviously look for a very small (baby) pleco. I would have the pleco eat all the algae and once it's a bit bigger, I will then move it into my 90g.

I don't even think snails will be able to get it off, my razor blade has a hard time.

That said, is the area hard to reach because you can't get your hand in there? Perhaps an algae scraper with a handle would be a worthwhile investment for you.

Devilishturtles said:
I don't even think snails will be able to get it off, my razor blade has a hard time.

That said, is the area hard to reach because you can't get your hand in there? Perhaps an algae scraper with a handle would be a worthwhile investment for you.

Yeah I guess, but I think the main reason I even have green spot algae is because I have way too much light in the tank (even with a think layer of duck weed at the top). I'm buying new lighting that's not so powerful. An 18watt would be perfect because I have plants in there. Right now I'm using the only thing I have, which is a 40 watt fluorescent that came with my 35g. I don't use it on my 35 because I have no plants in it and it's kinda close to my window so it gets more then enough light. Once I get new lighting for the 5g, I'll put the 40 watt back on my 35g.

So will a pleco or a SAE eat green spot algae?

SAE won't. a BN pleco may, but I don't know if it will be that noticable. I get green spot on the lower 2/3 of my tank (light strongest there).. I also have a 13.5" Sailfin and he can't keep it all off.. perhaps a clown pleco would fair well, but pleco's, even the smallest ones would overload that tank. a 3" pleco poops as much as 9" of fish.. the only ones that are worse are goldfish.

Your best option is (borrowing from malkore) Sharpus razorius - the common single edge razor blade. My brother uses a credit card (hey, a use for those junk mail ones you get!) Rubbernose plecos may work also. They scrape harder than just about anything else.

Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
I use a Magfloat, it works wonders, and little to no elbow grease.

Magfloat eh? Damn, I should have thought of that a while ago. How much did you pay for yours?

Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
came free with a whisper filter. I never would have thought to buy one.

Oh I see, well if you recommend it then I think I'll buy a small one to get rid of the spot algae.

Thanks a lot for the responses!

rich311k said:
http://bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=19055;category_id=2283

I love mine. It takes off green spot just takes little time.

Good to hear! I must get my hands on one :D

Back
Top Bottom