Gymnogeophagus labiatus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ally

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does any one have any experience with these? I am looking at getting a couple for my tank. Right now I have small community fish, but we are staring to build up the tank a big.nothing like what you guys have..yet lol! They said they get along well with other non aggressive fish. Im not sure how big they get though. I only have a 55 gallon right now, would this be suitable for them? Have you found the to be hardy or are they pretty sensitive?

Gymnogeophagus are generally very hardy fish, but they do require cooler temps than most species. Size range is around 4-5", not a big size difference between sexes. You can actually keep them in a rubbermaid tote or something similar with an air-driven sponge filter for the winter. Water temps should be in the upper 50's-lower 60's, and feed them twice weekly. Warmer temps through the summer are fine, but kept too warm all the time they won't spawn and their life span will be shortened.
If you can't accomodate their requirements there are plenty of other SA or CA cichlids that would work in a 55.

Hmm they sound like they might be alright. Ive been doing some other reading on them too. Would they be okay with my neons and other community fish? I know other cichlids can be aggressive, but wasnt 100% sure about these ones. I would like to switch to a completely cichlid set up at some point!:)

Neons like soft/acidic water, Gymno's come from hard/alkaline conditions. They're also likely to grow large enough to eat neons.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom