Hair Algae - Best fish to get rid of

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hforney

Aquarium Advice Regular
What is the best fish to keep hair algae under control. I believe it is hair algae as it looks like hair. I is primarily on the edges of my plants.

Ameca Splendins. That is my own opinion. I have witnessed other fish that are supposedly awesome at eating hair algae and i personally never really saw any major improvement. Since owning my amecas, they are active, a gorgeous looking fish (imo) and they are extremely voracious when it comes to eating hair algae.

I just bought some SAE's to clean up my 75 gal tank which had a bad case of hair algae. They've been in the tank less than a week, but I've already noticed a significant improvement.

I couldn't find any locally, so I ended up ordering them online from Aquariumfish.net. Shipping was expensive but flawless, and they all arrived safe and sound even though the outside temps were in the teens when they were delivered.

Update: the hair algae (or beard algae, or red algae, or whatever you would like to call it) is gone! Those little SAE's are amazing.

I actually think they are a nice looking fish as well. Much more attractive then any picture I've seen would indicate. They also seem to enjoy playing as a school in the current from my cannister filter, which is fun to watch.

For me, they were well worth the money it took to get them.

Orca,

How many did you get. I have 90 gallon...I just want to make sure I get enough of them...I would hate to pay for 2 shipments!

Thanks

WC

WhiteCloud, I was thinking the same thing about not having to pay for 2 shipments, so I ordered 12, and they threw in a 13th for free. I'm sure I didn't need that many, but I figured the more fish I got, the lower the price per fish. It was also my first fish shipment and I was worried about attrition (which was something I didn't need to worry about in hindsight).

They were all quite small (1 inch or less) except for one guy who looks full grown.
If things start to get crowded as they grow bigger, or if I decide I don't need a school that large anymore, I'm pretty sure my LFS will be interested in acquiring some. But right now, 13 small SAE's in a 75 gal tank can still manage to completely disappear when they want to.

Good luck if you decide to get some!

Ameca Splendens and SAE's. I'll have to disagree with Lunchbox though, although I have them, I think the Amecas are a bit of an ugly little fish, but have their use. They breed easily too.

I actually will be taking some to auction in awhile... might actually move them over to the 29, and keep breeding em... I dunno *shrugs*

Amecas are tops when it comes to small fish that eat hair algae....they have an incredible appetite for it. For tanks with larger fish, Fei-feng (Prochilodus ssp.) are great, although a bit spendy.

Back
Top Bottom