Hair Algae cleaning question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spoon

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have couple of rocks that were starting to get covered in hair algae so I decided to pull them out and soak them in a diluted bleach solution.

I realize now that I didn't think ahead. What's the best way to make sure there is no bleach on the rocks before I put them back in the tank? uld I soak the rocks in freshwater and let them dry?

Is there something else I should do? I would hate for this to take out my two beatiful discus and my mixed school of silvertips, rasboras, and rainbows.

Thanks,
Spoon

Believe it or not, a lot of ppl soak certain aquarium items in bleach, then wash them thoroughly and return them to the tank.

A thorough clean and a soak in a water-and-highly-concentrated dechlor solution for a couple of days should do it. Use Stress-Coat, or whatever dechlorinating agent you use, and use several times more of it than you'd usually use. I'd repeat a few times, since bleach is really quite toxic. Then I'd dry the rocks and allow the chlorine that's left over to evaporate.

Any other suggestions/corrections on what I've said?

Jonathan

One Other Tip

Soaking them is definitely the way to go. The only caveat I'd add is the more porous the rock, the longer the soak! For more porous rock, I'd extend the soak to three to four days. I have used this method successfully on my hardier plants too with great success.

When soaking to get rid of the bleach, change the water often, the bleach will be diluted and rinsed from the rocks quicker.

Driftwood, never bleach it, it can soak into the wood and be very difficult to get it all out.

Use extra dechlor when putting the ornaments back.

Back
Top Bottom