Hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joeyswife

Aquarium Advice Regular
My 24 aquapod has crashed and the only things that I still have is a figi leather, sad looking zoas and hair algae. I'm not sure why the tank crashed but think the vat we use for making water was contaminated with cleaning products, that was 2 months ago.

I've tried to manually get rid of the algae, turned lights off for days at a time, and lowered the temp to 75 degrees and it is still here. I was thinking of taking the rock out and scrubbing it off since there's nothing really in the tank. What do you think? I don't know what his stuff is living off of because there is nothing to feed in the tank. I've got 6 nassarius snails, 4 hermit crabs, 3 star snails and one turbo grazer that I was hoping would clean some off.

Water parameters in check: Ph 8.0, ammonia 0, nitrate 0, nitrite 0, phos .1, calc 450, SG 1.024, temp 75

Any feed back would be great.

Jill

If it is that overrun with hair algae and all you have left it two corals and clean up crew. I would find a friend to hold your coral and crew. If there is hair algae on the rock the coral is attached to then just make frags of your coral on a clean plug. Then just start over. drain the tank and dry the rock. Then scrub it clean of algae and get a new start. Hair algae is really really hard to get rid of and if you don't have much in there right now anyway i am sure it will be less work this way.

Back
Top Bottom