Hair algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grand1011

Aquarium Advice Activist
Grows very quick, doesn't looks green... I'm guessing hair algae? Any ideas how to obliterate it?

Attachments

• image-1124345571.jpg
    image-1124345571.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 85
I got an 8" pleco and about 50-60 ghost shrimp algae and excess food are no long problems

That looks like staghorn algae which is a greyish white color. It is usually caused by higher light left on too long and low CO2 levels. Reduce your photoperiod to 6 hours for now and spot treat the algae with either Excel or H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide 3%). Draw up 2-3ml of either Excel or Peroxide to every 10 gallons of tank water, then slowly squirt the algae with the Excel or H2O2. If using Peroxide turn your filters and lights off for 15-20 minutes. If there is alot you may have to spot treat an area each day. Also are your running CO2 or using liquid carbon?

I noticed that when i got staghorn algae that it likes to develop where there's poor circulation in the tank (deadspots).

That looks like staghorn algae which is a greyish white color. It is usually caused by higher light left on too long and low CO2 levels. Reduce your photoperiod to 6 hours for now and spot treat the algae with either Excel or H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide 3%). Draw up 2-3ml of either Excel or Peroxide to every 10 gallons of tank water, then slowly squirt the algae with the Excel or H2O2. If using Peroxide turn your filters and lights off for 15-20 minutes. If there is alot you may have to spot treat an area each day. Also are your running CO2 or using liquid carbon?

I'm running co2 through a airstone which is useless and also dosing with liquid carbon.

Try increasing water movement as Brian suggested, run lights 6 hours daily, and spot treat the algae. If you use liquid carbon to spot treat with that will be your daily dose. If you use H2O2 you can still use your liquid carbon daily.

How many times a day can I spot treat with h2o2? And Also, why do the lights and filter need to be turned off?

You can spot treat with it once a day. I turn off filters so there is longer contact time for the H2O2 to work without water flow blowing it away from the treatment area. H2O2 is also light sensitive so turning off the lights prolongs this.

Back
Top Bottom