Hair Algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishmonger

Aquarium Advice Regular
I believe I have hair algae in my 10 gal. It's bright green with strands on a small portion of the gravel. Will it spread? What can I get to get rid of it? I have an otto who has done a great job of eliminating all the algae on the glass and decor. Will the otto take care of this too?

I don't believe Otos care for Hair Algae. At least mine don't. I bought some Siamese Algae Eaters to take care of my Hair Algae problem, and I was not disappointed. They devoured it all in no time!

the undisputed champ for beating hair algae would be Ameca Splendins. I have 6 in my tank and no more hair algae SAE are great for all types of algae but they can get quite big (too big for a 10 gallon IMO). Also, the TRUE SAE can be a bit difficult to get. Most are the false ones or flying foxes (even though they are labeled SAE's). But for a 10 gallon i would get 1 ameca splendin (butterfly goodeid). They get to be about 2" or so and jsut devour hair algae. HTH

Back
Top Bottom