Harlequin swimming awkwardly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

breezer40

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
One of my female Harlequins is having problems swimming. I first noticed her swimming with her head up towards the top of the tank but when I went to catch her she started to swim normally again so I thought I would just keep an eye on her for a little while :?

She continued to swim head up with the sudden burst of normal swimming and at this point I also noticed my other Harlequins were giving her a hard time so I got the net and she is now in the hospital tank.

I'm thinking this is possibly swimbladder problems. I have tested the water and everything is sound. I have also looked closely for any other problems but nothing found and all other fish are normal. Can anyone suggest a possible treatment?

She is around 12 months old possibly more as she was a good size when I got her from the LFS. How long do Harlequins live and could old age be a possibility for her sudden swimming problem?

I think the problem is sorted. After a day in hospital the patient is now FULLY recovered. This is what I am thinking was the problem:

I have 3 very persistent males who are looking for some action. I think she was just exhaused from her efforts to escape their attention and quite stressed too (she is the only female that seems interested in breeding). When I put her in the hospital tank I added a little stress coat, dimmed the lights and gave her some peace and quite. Within an hour she seemed just fine. I have now upped the temps as this takes the males off heat and she is swimming in a shoal perfectly normal.

My water parameters are:
ammonia = 0
nitrites = 0
nitrates = 12.5mg/l
temp = was 27 (perfect for breeding these)..now 28

Glad to hear the happy ending! What is your male to female ration?? Most fish are good with 1 male to 2 or 3 females. This dilutes the attention of the male and the females are able to rest.

I currently have 3 males and 8 females. She is still doing fine and acting as if nothing had happened :D

Back
Top Bottom