Have you euthanized fish with temp shock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

siva

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've read plunging a fish into water from the freezer that has not completely froze, but has ice chunks floating in it, will instantly kill the fish. I'm skeptical.. anyone tried this method?

Add table salt to the water before you put it in the freezer. That will lower the freezing point so it can get much colder without freezing solid.

I've tried it with small fish. It works very quickly. I would not recommend it for larger fish.

Ok, great tip, I'll add some salt.

SM - it's a betta. Small enough?

blert said:
Add table salt to the water before you put it in the freezer. That will lower the freezing point so it can get much colder without freezing solid.

Would you be able to do that with aquarium salt too? The kind for freshwater tanks

paytertot said:
Would you be able to do that with aquarium salt too? The kind for freshwater tanks

Yes. Regular table salt is much cheaper though.

Sorry for your loss Siva.

blert said:
Yes. Regular table salt is much cheaper though.

Sorry for your loss Siva.

I was just wondering because I always have aquarium salt but I don't always have table salt lol.

And siva I'm sorry about your betta

Thanks. I'm scared to try this method but I think it's the best option I have at the moment. Sigh.

siva said:
Thanks. I'm scared to try this method but I think it's the best option I have at the moment. Sigh.

I'm sorry :(
I've used this method and it works really well. Just a warning though sometimes they twitch for a split second. Make sure the water is as cold as you can get it.

I tried this with a Diamond Tetra that had an issue with a swim bladder. He swam sideways for a few months and then stopped eating. I figured I would give it a try. Left a bowl of water in the freezer until the surface froze over, i broke that up and added some ice cubes also. Put him in, he started flipping out and didn't stop for over a minute. I ended up taking him out (survived this until the next day) and got clove oil to knock him out and then euthanized him. Just a FYI.

I've done this twice... Yes it works well.., my first one didn't move after hitting the water, the second twitched for several seconds-- was quite disturbing, but grateful it was over quickly...

I'm sorry.... I know it so hard.,

meegosh said:
I tried this with a Diamond Tetra that had an issue with a swim bladder. He swam sideways for a few months and then stopped eating. I figured I would give it a try. Left a bowl of water in the freezer until the surface froze over, i broke that up and added some ice cubes also. Put him in, he started flipping out and didn't stop for over a minute. I ended up taking him out (survived this until the next day) and got clove oil to knock him out and then euthanized him. Just a FYI.

The surface must freeze over and then over several hours keep breaking thru surface ice and re freezing.. break thru surface, mix icy water around 6-8 times before cold enough for fish... Before that it's not cold enough,

Well that explains it then. That was quite a few years ago now though. I strictly do clove oil and hammer now. That way I know there is no pain and it is instant. Sounds harsh but it's really not that bad.

What are the benefits of using the clove oil? How is it better than just the hammer?

Clove oil sedates/knocks the fish out. Makes handling them easier and in theory, they shouldn't feel anything.

So as an alternative to the hammer, any reason I couldn't do clove oil, then into partially frozen water, then into freezer until completely frozen?

Not at all. I use half a pint of water or so, add 3 drops of clove oil. Stir it up real good (fish has to ingest it to work - remember - oil floats on top of water). I add this mixture to about a gallon of water that the fish is in (tupperware container or bucket). Stir it up with my hand and you'll notice the fish becomes lethargic. Add 2-3 more drops and he'll go belly up. He's not dead - just asleep. This is when I remove him, place him in a ziplock and euthanize him.

Some people will just keep adding a few more drops and eventually the gills stop moving and the fish passes. Whatever you do, don't add more than 2-3 drops at a time. The fish will notice and freak out. Clove oil is STRONG and doesn't need a lot.

Back
Top Bottom