Haze on the Surface

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Philip99

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,
I have just started to notice a "haze/ film" on the surface of my tank. When I feed the fish it kind of separates and then as soon as there done eating it comes back. Has anyone ever had this before?
It's hard to take a pictures of it

By the way it's a 55g planted tank Running for about 8-9 months
T5 HO lights 2x 6700k bulbs.
Fluval C4 filter
Fluorite substrate.

Tested water
Ph: 7.6
Nitrate 0pm
Nitrite 0pm
Ammonia 0pm

How long has the tank been established? This often happens with newer tanks, especially with nutrient rich substrate. It will probably go away with time... If it gets too bad you can use a small cup and sort of skim the surface by pressing the cup down into the water and letting the surface scum fill the cup.

If it is too bad and the tank has been setup for awhile, ADA started making a surface skimmer that looks very interesting, but it will set you back quite a bit of $$$.

Grab a roll of paper towels and a garbage can. Turn off your filter and air pump(s), if any. Gently lay a paper towel on the surface of the water and then gently lift it back off. Repeat until most of it is gone.

blert said:
Grab a roll of paper towels and a garbage can. Turn off your filter and air pump(s), if any. Gently lay a paper towel on the surface of the water and then gently lift it back off. Repeat until most of it is gone.

Will this work? Have you done this before?

Philip99 said:
Will this work? Have you done this before?
Yes. Had a film on the surface of my 75g that bugged me for a while. A quick search of the forums turned up this method. Did it over a couple of days and it was then gone.

i had the same thing happen to me when my tank was about 5-6 months old. i used a very tight mesh net (one that can be used to rinse worms) and kept skimming the surface a few times a day for about 3 days and finally got rid of it. hasn't been back since. i really don't know what caused it.

Hello,
I have just started to notice a "haze/ film" on the surface of my tank. When I feed the fish it kind of separates and then as soon as there done eating it comes back. Has anyone ever had this before?
It's hard to take a pictures of it

By the way it's a 55g planted tank Running for about 8-9 months
T5 HO lights 2x 6700k bulbs.
Fluval C4 filter
Fluorite substrate.

Tested water
Ph: 7.6
Nitrate 0pm
Nitrite 0pm
Ammonia 0pm
I've had this problem on all but my Betta tank. It's not a problem, but it doesn't look nice. The "film" on my 55 went away after a week, and that is my show tank. My 10 gallon still hasn't cleared up, but I do skim the surface with an aquarium-safe cup every few days and it has diminished significantly. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom