HC or HM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rxblade123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Can anybody tell me some differences between them in their appearence? I think I saw some at my LFS in pots. 8.99 Is that a good price? It was in those black pots and rock wool. Anyways, I don't have a picture of the plant, but I'm going to look through around for some enlarged pictures so I can see the plants up close.

I have both the Hemianthus Callitrichoides and Hemianthus Micranthemoides "Erect". The biggest difference beween these two plants is the leaf shape. The HM leaves are more elongated and pointed at the ends while the HC has very round leaves. While you can make some varients of HM creep and form a carpet, it seems that more people are using HC for this than HM.

HC is still a bit hard to get ahold of so I would think that as long as the plant looks healthy and there's at least a square inch of it in the pot, that price would be reasonable. If that's the price for HM, I really don't know as I've never priced it out.

Agree with Purrbox. HC is also much smaller.

These are not healthy and you'll surely find better examples online, but this pic has HM on the left, HC on the right. It is regular HM, not "Erect." That is a .5gal nano cube (~5" per side) for a sense of scale.

Neither HM nor HC are common at LFSs, and so that price seems about right if a little high. You can get them for less from hobbyists or aquabid, but they are not listed often.

If it is healthy I would get it! Uncommon is not the word for it. My LFS can't even order it. I wouyld gladly pay $7-10 for a 1 inch square just to have it as I think it is the best looking clover/cover plant out there.

Thanks for the input, I think I will go get the plant, except I'm pretty sure it's much more than I need. I wonder if they would cut me off a small portion for a portion of the price :)

If it is HC and the portion is that big, sell it to members on here. A portion of the price with the member paying shipping wouldn't last long on here. I would love to see a picture of the plant and a size reference.

Back
Top Bottom