Health Certificate for aquariums?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Territoons

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have an in-home private childcare/preschool. I have three fish tanks in my classroom. One fish tank has ghost shtimp and snails in it, one tank has three large goldfish in it, and one fish tank has a large angle fish, some zebra danios, a few mollies. NOthing spectacular, but we enjoy them.

Suddenly one of the myriad of INSPECTORS that come to my house to dream up things to make my life miserable has decided that my angel fish is an "exotic pet", and she wants "health certificates" for my fish, or the tanks.

I have called around and asked PetSmart, and another LFS, and they do not have any paperwork that certifies fish tanks. One of the people I spoke to thinks this is a ludicrous idea, and says that he has set up lots of aquariums in health care facilities, and there is no "heath certifications" that he is aware of.

I have searched the internet, the health department for California, and I can find NOTHING. Does anybody out there have any idea what I might do, or where I might look?

Also, if the children are NEVER allowed to touch the water (they aren't even allowed to feed the fish), is there ANY KIND OF DISEASE that could spread to children? Airborne?

And would my $1.19 angelfish, purchased at a local fish store when he was about 1 inch long, but has since grown to be about 6 or 7 inches long, constitute an exotic animal? I don't think so. But I don't know how to "prove" that.

BTW, this same lady wrote on her report that my ghost shrimp were hermit crabs.

signed,

SUPREMELY FUSTRATED
:banghead:

P.S. there may be some fish tanks for sale soon.....which would be a real shame for my kids.

How did this inspector decide that the angel fish is an "exotic" pet? Is there a list s/he went by? Also there are regulations, I think, for folks selling exotic animals such as special licensing. In that case does the LFS, where you bought this "exotic" pet, have such license? I doubt. I think you can fight this. May you should contact USDA regarding this and find out if indeed the angel fish is deemed "exotic".... Good luck.

Is there anyway to speak with someone above her or another inspector? That just sounds foolish to me. An angelfish is no more exotic than any other fish you can commonly find in the pet store. I would seek out someone above this person and speak to them. Explain that you've called all over to several professionals in the fish trade and no one has any idea what this lady is speaking of, that they have personally set up aquariums in health centers/hospitals and it has never once been an issue. A dog is more at risk to hurt a child than a fish is. I'd also explain that the woman filling out the report even mislabeled some of the fish/inverts. Hermit crabs are far different than shrimp. lol. That you worry about having to remove a much loved addition to your home for no reason what so ever. That you would gladly meet this ladies want if it were possible but it simply isn't.

I honestly can not think of a single way kids could get sick from the tank. The only thing I could think of is perhaps your city has licensing for exotic pets that you may be able to purchase. I live in Canada so couldn't even begin to give advice on that but I know for dog and cat licenses we contact city hall and pay a small fee, perhaps there would be one for an "exotic pet" that isn't exotic?? :ermm:

Haha ... around here this sounds like something the news would run a story on.

HEADLINE .. Local health inspector claims Angelfish are exotic.

As a fire chief I can answer this question with 100% confidence. Yes, they can require a health certificate. Some areas are more strict then others and some are purely political.

In short, you will have to call your local health department, they will come out and inspect the fish tank, they will make sure all is in order and it's not leaking, that it's not a breeding ground for bacteria, that proper cleaning and up keep is being done.

I've never in my years as fire chief have issues a violation for a fish tank, I think it's ridiculous actually, unless I see its really dirty and water on the floor am the place is a pig pen, which I'm sure your place isn't.

So I'm sorry to bring the news but they are well within the law to look into any fish tank, rabbit cage, hamsters whatever that inspector feels like doing that day.

I've passed over snakes,spiders,fish,rabbits,etc etc etc, if all looks clean then I just make a quick mention of it so they know that I'm aware of it and move on. I'm sorry your going through this but it really is a quick fix, or at least should be.

I don't know where he/she got the exotic part from. I didn't know angel fish were considered exotic. That is just nonsense in my opinion. But the rest makes sense if your going by the book, sate codes, health codes etc... I know every state, town and city are different but I've seen the code books and believe it or not its in there. You'd be surprised what's in those books.

Good luck and feel free to ask away!

Dino

EDIT:

Also I'm going to guess its more then 5 children?

Last edited:
see I get the health certificate for aquariums, I can understand that I guess. There I suppose is the risk of the tank breaking and the possible weight of the tank on the floor, etc. It's the signalling out of the angelfish I do not get. It sounds like she only wants the license for the fish and really doesn't care about the rest of the tank?

Haha again ... I was just wrapping up this discussion on with a coworker. I mentioned how someone on here must deal with this as their profession and then I saw Convict's reply.

Does make sense from a health and safety aspect that the aquariums are not a harmful bacterial breeding ground. Same ideas as in finding uncleaned hamster cages full of waste.

tamtam said:
see I get the health certificate for aquariums, I can understand that I guess. There I suppose is the risk of the tank breaking and the possible weight of the tank on the floor, etc. It's the signalling out of the angelfish I do not get. It sounds like she only wants the license for the fish and really doesn't care about the rest of the tank?

Yes, that is the part that doesn't make sense to me, like I said I pass them over on our inspections. I just people aware. The exotic thing seems like she has no clue, did she write you up or promise to revisit the site at a later date?

In all honesty ... I could see how a 6-7 inch Angelfish may be confused as an exotic fish by someone who just has little experience with fish. I'll bet if I showed members of my family a tank with large Angelfish, they'd probably think it's some rare exotic fish that belongs in a municipal aquarium.

jcolon said:
In all honesty ... I could see how a 6-7 inch Angelfish may be confused as an exotic fish by someone who just has little experience with fish. I'll bet if I showed members of my family a tank with large Angelfish, they'd probably think it's some rare exotic fish that belongs in a municipal aquarium.

Very true. I'd just call the local health department, they will come there and see the fish and honestly probably laugh and give you the green light.

OP, if you want some help, PM me and I can make some calls as a fire chief to your district and find out what has to be done. Maybe I can get to the end result a little faster.

I'm here to help in any way I can.

Dino

You'll treat that pesky inspector like a long lost brother the first time you get hit with a law suit from a disgruntled law suit happy parent with a decent lawyer whose kid just came down with some odd illness and they find you don't have the proper paperwork in place. Can you say "$$$CHA-CHING!$$$" Seriously.

The inspector are there for your protection too.

blert said:
You'll treat that pesky inspector like a long lost brother the first time you get hit with a law suit from a disgruntled law suit happy parent with a decent lawyer whose kid just came down with some odd illness and they find you don't have the proper paperwork in place. Can you say "$$$CHA-CHING!$$$" Seriously.

The inspector are there for your protection too.

200% correct! I always document it but I usually don't give them a hard time. Just enough to cover my rear.

inspections

Thank you for offering to help me. I could use the help. I don't totally mind getting the proper paperwork, I just don't know where to get it, and the inspector is not providing me with any help along these lines.

my zip code is 92040..southern california....

I am licensed (in good standing) for 14 children, and I have been in business at this home since 1989. The requirements for licensed home childcare are getting more and more stringent, and more and more difficult to uphold. It is getting very depressing, trying to jump through all of their hoops. All I am trying to do is run the very best childcare and private preschool I can. At the risk of sounding like a whiner....well I guess I am whining, sorry.

They have also decided that I need to take the toothpaste and shampoo out of my bathroom, and the (4 year old) children are no longer allowed to sleep with stuffed animals because of the danger of suffocation. Truly? This is my HOME, as well as a fun, warm, safe place for children to learn and play. It is not an institute for the criminally insane.

check out my website:

www.terriskid.net

sigh.....

As a fire chief I can answer this question with 100% confidence. Yes, they can require a health certificate. Some areas are more strict then others and some are purely political.

In short, you will have to call your local health department, they will come out and inspect the fish tank, they will make sure all is in order and it's not leaking, that it's not a breeding ground for bacteria, that proper cleaning and up keep is being done.

I've never in my years as fire chief have issues a violation for a fish tank, I think it's ridiculous actually, unless I see its really dirty and water on the floor am the place is a pig pen, which I'm sure your place isn't.

So I'm sorry to bring the news but they are well within the law to look into any fish tank, rabbit cage, hamsters whatever that inspector feels like doing that day.

I've passed over snakes,spiders,fish,rabbits,etc etc etc, if all looks clean then I just make a quick mention of it so they know that I'm aware of it and move on. I'm sorry your going through this but it really is a quick fix, or at least should be.

I don't know where he/she got the exotic part from. I didn't know angel fish were considered exotic. That is just nonsense in my opinion. But the rest makes sense if your going by the book, sate codes, health codes etc... I know every state, town and city are different but I've seen the code books and believe it or not its in there. You'd be surprised what's in those books.

Good luck and feel free to ask away!

Dino

EDIT:

Also I'm going to guess its more then 5 children?

Territoons said:
Thank you for offering to help me. I could use the help. I don't totally mind getting the proper paperwork, I just don't know where to get it, and the inspector is not providing me with any help along these lines.

my zip code is 92040..southern california....

I am licensed (in good standing) for 14 children, and I have been in business at this home since 1989. The requirements for licensed home childcare are getting more and more stringent, and more and more difficult to uphold. It is getting very depressing, trying to jump through all of their hoops. All I am trying to do is run the very best childcare and private preschool I can. At the risk of sounding like a whiner....well I guess I am whining, sorry.

They have also decided that I need to take the toothpaste and shampoo out of my bathroom, and the (4 year old) children are no longer allowed to sleep with stuffed animals because of the danger of suffocation. Truly? This is my HOME, as well as a fun, warm, safe place for children to learn and play. It is not an institute for the criminally insane.

check out my website:

www.terriskid.net

sigh.....

All that stuff is in place for a good reason... To protect YOU and your business. I am sure you provide a safe place for your kids but let's face it, people will sue for any reason they can. You see, the mind set of the general population does not realize that hot coffee is HOT.

Back
Top Bottom