Heater Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 2 tanks I am buying new heaters for. So one is a 25 tall and the other a 36 bow. Our house fluctuates from 69-74 usually and occasionally drops to 63-65 on really cold nights. What wattage do I need?
Also what brand is safest? I was looking at ehiem jager but if there is a better safer option Im all ears. Thanks and God bless!

I use the Jager Thermostat Heater 100 watt on my 29 gallon high and it keeps the temp at whatever I set it for. My home temps run as low as 60 to as high as
90's. I have let it get colder and the tank temp stays good. I like the fact you can calibrate it if the temp seems off. You just turn the dial to the actual tank temp that is showing on a good thermometer and then set the temp you want. I have only had to do that once in the year I have owned it. I have moved it around a lot, forgot to turn it off a few times when changing water, and even dropped it and it is still working.

I use the Jager Thermostat Heater 100 watt on my 29 gallon high and it keeps the temp at whatever I set it for. My home temps run as low as 60 to as high as
90's. I have let it get colder and the tank temp stays good. I like the fact you can calibrate it if the temp seems off. You just turn the dial to the actual tank temp that is showing on a good thermometer and then set the temp you want. I have only had to do that once in the year I have owned it. I have moved it around a lot, forgot to turn it off a few times when changing water, and even dropped it and it is still working.

Sweet! So the 100 watt shoukd be good in my 25. In the 36 150 watt?

Hello G...

4 watts per gallon of tank volume is sufficient and "Theo" has a very good product.

B

Hello G...

4 watts per gallon of tank volume is sufficient and "Theo" has a very good product.

B

Thanks! So does anybody take any special precautions against overheating in case of accident?

Thanks! So does anybody take any special precautions against overheating in case of accident?

Most if not all heaters will turn off once they reach the required temperature and turn back on when it drops. So not really, too much direct sunlight? I dont know

Most if not all heaters will turn off once they reach the required temperature and turn back on when it drops. So not really, too much direct sunlight? I dont know

I meant if the heater malfunctioned.

I meant if the heater malfunctioned.

In that case.. no, i cant think of any precautions you could take if the heater malfunctions... a temperature alarm? If there is such a thing. Check them daily, i cant think of anything tbh my minds blank on this one.

In that case.. no, i cant think of any precautions you could take if the heater malfunctions... a temperature alarm? If there is such a thing. Check them daily, i cant think of anything tbh my minds blank on this one.

Oh ok thanks.

Your best defense is probably researching for and purchasing a quality product. Even then, there's no guarantee (like most of life).
I have heard of some folks that get two lower wattage heaters ( ie two 50 watts) instead of one. This way, if one fails it takes longer to become a real problem. Also, with a heater at both ends of the tank you get a more even distribution.

Back
Top Bottom